Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hello everyone -

I have been looking for a wide-angle zoom for my D200 and had decided to give the Sigma 10-20mm a go. Unfortunately, no one in the D.C. area seems to have one in stock and Amazon says it's shipping in 2-4 months!

I've never used a non-Nikkor lens before, but I don't see myself using the lens enough to justify the price of the Nikon 12-24. I do use a lot of my old MF focus lenses with my D200, but the old 24mm I have just isn't very wide on the DX body.

So, while I'm in a holding-pattern, I thought I would ask if I should special order the Sigma from one of my local stores or should I try a Tamron or Tokina lens? I was surprised to see that the Sigma is made in Japan. Where are Tamron and Tokina lenses made these days?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-- N

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I second the suggestion to have a look at Tokina's f4/12-24 zoom. It has received excellent reviews, some place it before original manufacturer lenses (read: Canon and Nikon).

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've seen the Ken Rockwell review, but decided not to run out and buy a lens based on this single review. :)

Can anyone speak to the issue of CA on the Tokina? I've been reading through lots of reviews that claim that the Tokina 12-24 has issues with CA while the Sigma 10-20 does not?!?

-- N
Have a look at Photozone's review. This bit is taken from their review of Canon's 10-22 ultra-wide angle zoom:
photozone said:
Naturally it makes sense to compare the lens to a serious competitor like the Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX. All in all the resolution figures are very similar. The Canon has less CAs and a better contra light performance whereas the Tokina shows less vignetting. The build quality of the Tokina is also a little better (the Canon is more than "good enough" though) and finally the Tokina is substantially cheaper (420 EUR vs 670 EUR locally).
They compare the Canon to the Tokina, not the other way around! ;)
CA can be corrected when you shoot RAW and it's not one of the strong points of the lens. But it more than makes up for it with its high resolution.

Photozone's verdict on the Sigma was `it's good, but not stellar.'

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Although it is pricy, the Nikon 12-24 is a great lens. My son has one and when he went back to school after the holiday's (out of state), he left the 12-24 with me for a few months. Once I have to give it back, I'll probably also buy one since it will be tough to live without it.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Wide angle lens

The Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 lens is making a lot of waves among professional photographers both Canon and Nikon alike. Now for a lens to make both camps excited, that must mean something. You may want to check it out, although it is frequently sold out and backordered.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
The Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 lens is making a lot of waves among professional photographers both Canon and Nikon alike. Now for a lens to make both camps excited, that must mean something. You may want to check it out, although it is frequently sold out and backordered.

As I mentioned above, I'm not going to use the lens enough to warrant the price of the Nikon 12-24 let alone the 14-24. Maybe once I win the lottery, but not right now! :p

-- N

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
You might want to check with your local camera shops to see if someone has a gently-used 12-24mm Nikkor; with the arrival of the amazing 14-24mm some photographers are selling/trading in their 12-24 lenses.

Yeah. I tried, but Penn and Dominion don't have any. Fuller & D' is now out of business. I see that we live in the same area. Any other suggestions on where to call?

I just spoke to someone at Penn and they told me I can try the 12-24 Tokina for 14-days and return it if I don't like it. I think I'm going to give that a try.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

-- N

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I was so saddened when I saw that Fuller & D'Albert had closed its doors....but not at all surprised.

Well, things move quickly in-and-out of used gear sections, so keep checking for that Nikkor! Also, there is Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA, to try..... don't have their phone number handy, unfortunately. I think their website is http://www.acephoto.net

Can't answer your question about the Tokina -- never have used it, never have even seen one in use.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
I was so saddened when I saw that Fuller & D'Albert had closed its doors....but not at all surprised.

Well, things move quickly in-and-out of used gear sections, so keep checking for that Nikkor! Also, there is Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA, to try..... don't have their phone number handy, unfortunately. I think their website is http://www.acephoto.net

Can't answer your question about the Tokina -- never have used it, never have even seen one in use.

Agreed about Fuller & D'Albert -- the place was desolate the last few times I had been in.

Have you tried Ace? Every time I've called for quotes on gear, they quote a price 5-10% higher than any other local or online store and if I'm going to drive myself to Ashburn, it better be for a good price! :D

Thanks again...

-- N

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Every time I've called for quotes on gear, they quote a price 5-10% higher than any other local or online store and if I'm going to drive myself to Ashburn, it better be for a good price! :D

Thanks again...

-- N

Every time I've walked out of Ace, it's been with a better deal than I could get elsewhere, and my friends who've gone there with me have gotten great deals on their cameras and lenses. The normal sales folks don't have a lot of wiggle room, but Mo is very good at setting prices off the top of his head that are good. I'm under the impression that you have to show up for that though. At least the new location's closer.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Every time I've walked out of Ace, it's been with a better deal than I could get elsewhere, and my friends who've gone there with me have gotten great deals on their cameras and lenses. The normal sales folks don't have a lot of wiggle room, but Mo is very good at setting prices off the top of his head that are good. I'm under the impression that you have to show up for that though. At least the new location's closer.

Cool. That's good to know. I didn't want to head out on the Toll Road or make the boring drive all the way down 7 if there wasn't going to be any room for haggling.

I'll check them out in the future...

-- N

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Cool. That's good to know. I didn't want to head out on the Toll Road or make the boring drive all the way down 7 if there wasn't going to be any room for haggling.

I'll check them out in the future...

-- N

66 to 28 to that-road-that-used-to-have-that-church-in-die-hard (hmm, Waxpool?) to the right at the post office to the new location, they're not in Sterling anymore, so no point in going down 7.

I'm not even allowed to say what I got my Wimberly II for :D.

Here's my final endorsements for Ace though-

When they were in Sterling, I was browsing and bumped into a guy I met out at Summit Point shooting trackside, while I was talking to him, one of the McLean uber-soccer moms comes in and says she wants "the very best camera to shoot her daughter's swim meets." Moe dissuaded her from buying a D2x or D2HS because all she really needed camera-wise was a D70s. Imagine the same scenario at Penn, and I think you know how differently it'd turn out. Yeah, she could have afforded a D2x and a D2HS, but integrity in a merchant counts for a _lot_ with me.

Also, once I was picking out a used lens, and the sales guy had a question about ringing it up, Moe saw me and before the sales guy opened his mouth, he'd discounted the lens. Worked out pretty well for me :)

They're good people and the last real camera store in the area. Well-worth supporting IMO.

viltsu

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
I bought the 14-24 f/2.8 Nikkor with my D300. I haven´t got D300 yet so I don´t have have anything to tell yet. I´m not sure if it´s wide enough since the d300 is DX-format camera. Well, if it isn´t wide enough I have to sell it and buy something wider later. We´ll see. In the means of optical structure, the 14-24 is superior but in the photography, nothing come for free. That means that 14-24 is heavy as **** :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have the Tokina 12-24mm and love it.

But, as I feel obligated to say whenever this question comes up, pretty much everyone who buys a wide-angle lens seems to end up pretty happy with their choice (unless they get a flawed copy, of course) - so no matter what you buy, you'll likely be very happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.