Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armang999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2022
Any video editors out there willing to shed some insight.

Use case will be 4K video editing on Final Cut Pro

For the exact same price, which would you purchase?

1. Mac Studio: M1 Max 24 core GPU, 32GB memory, 2 TB SSD

or

2. Mac Studio: M1 Max 24 core GPU, 64GB memory, 1 TB SSD

Last edited:

Armang999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2022
My thought was get the 1TB SSD and 64GB Ram, then down the line if more storage is needed I could get a thunderbolt 3 nvme enclosure plus wait for a sale to purchase an NVME SSD and use them through the USB C Thunderbolt port when extra storage is needed

fstoprm

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2021
4K can mean different things to different peeps i.e., Multicam, Muti-Tracks, Effects, Audio etc. I'm sure you know that, but probably the RAM. I bought the Base Model and it's a perfect machine for all of my 4K work -- no stress at, all fast as heck, and I saved some money. Samsung top end SSD's are a great value compared to Apple, so you get more storage for less money. Have fun!

saintmac

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
For a desktop I think it's a no brainer, you can easily add storage over thunderbolt, but you're stuck with your RAM.
That being said I'm yet to go over 20Gb of RAM usage on my 32Gb M1 Max MBP, but I have more of a dev and productivity workflow than a video editor one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.