Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I have read some reviews on the Apple site stating the 8/8+ and X white silicone cases are discoloring after a few weeks. Can anyone confirm? I really want one but not if this is a known issue. Thanks.

Surratt14

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
I have a white silicone for my iPhone X. I haven’t had any discoloring but I find myself cleaning it off from dirt atleast a few times a week.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I have read some reviews on the Apple site stating the 8/8+ and X white silicone cases are discoloring after a few weeks. Can anyone confirm? I really want one but not if this is a known issue. Thanks.

Look at some of the pictures of peoples' iPhone leather and silicon cases here and you'll see where the reviews come from. It scares me to think what these posters' houses look like when they're carrying a phone case that's so beat up and dirty and destroyed after only a month owning it. Bottom line, like cars or homes, or anything you own, the product will reflect how you treat it. If you never clean your bathroom or car, it'll become damaged not to mention look disgusting. Same with a cell phone case.

If you get a white silicon, you'll get color bleed if you have newer jeans you slip them into, or if something in your purse rubs on it, but a non-harsh cleaner (screen wipes work good) will bring it back to new or near-new looking if you rub it once a week.

Reactions: michial

badbooster

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2017
Gurgaon, India
I have an Apple White Silicone, (8Plus version) case for my iPhone 8 plus and my brother uses a midnight blue (7plus) silicone case on his 8 plus...the biggest difference is the grip. The confound which apple is using for the 8plus model, is more grippy and feels lightweight in hand in comparison to the 7Plus version of the silicone cases.

Coming to the shortcomings, just like all silicone cases, the coating starts coming off the edges in just a few days. Literally like a fortnight, that too after very careful sausage. The yellowing of the case is common too but not as much as the 7Plus version of the case. It grippy, the buttons are clickable and not at all bulky. Slides in and out of pockets and looks distinctly apple BUT, the yellowing and coating wear off are major issues. Good case to have but certainly not for $55 that i paid for it in India.

Reactions: michial
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.