Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TIT4N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi,
I have a strange problem with my MacBook Pro 15’ screen since some weeks : White dots / pixels appears randomly on the screen, and slowly fade to finally disappear... It looks like dead pixels but the strange thing is that it disappears as it arrives.

It happens randomly, whatever I am doing. I’ve tried to search for similar problems on the forums but found nothing. I tried to bring my MBP to the Apple Store but these dots weren’t visible at this moment. I’ve explained and show a picture of this problem to a Genius but he told me that he has never seen something like this...

I have attached a picture of these strange dots.
Any idea of the reason?

Thank you by advance,
Cheers.

Attachments

• 6FD6DC13-C1D5-429A-B7EE-6C042BB3AA6E.jpeg
    6FD6DC13-C1D5-429A-B7EE-6C042BB3AA6E.jpeg
    869 KB · Views: 5,317

TIT4N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi Jo, nop I am living in France !
All right the weather is currently cold here (sure not as much as in the USA) but my MBP is often running at top speed hahaha

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
This reminded me of 20 years old tv that had a similar symptom. But if it there even turn off, then made me belief is the LCD film.

TIT4N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
These dots only appears when the screen is ON, strangely it’s more visible on dark grey backgrounds than on black :/

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
The possibility of a dead pixel. But, you said before, after warming up it will disappear. Therefore, make me believed is the OS. Why not just do a fresh install?

TIT4N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
The possibility of a dead pixel. But, you said before, after warming up it will disappear. Therefore, make me believed is the OS. Why not just do a fresh install?

Mmm you probably right! It’s true that I have updated my OS from El Capitan to Sierra about 5-6 months ago, and I had no problem before...
BTW I bought a new external hard drive especially to save my Mac with Time Machine, and then I’ll try to restore it. I will give you some news after this :)

Thank you Jo!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
StainGate ??
(if you don't know what that is, research it)

I'd take it to an Apple Store and show it to them...

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
The problem might be image retention. Those dots are there because they are temporarily retained on the screen based on a previous image that was displayed on your screen for a long time. I experienced this myself. You can easily recreate this problem.

Leave a high contrast image on your screen for several minutes. I am displaying the word "HELLO!" with white letters on a black background.

image-retention-1.png

Then switch the screen to something else. You should see the word retained on the screen.

image-retention-2.png

As you said, it does fade away after a few minutes. However, my experience was that the problem got worse over time and a greater area would experience the image retention problem. The good news is that I was able to get this display replaced under Apple Care at the Apple Store. You mentioned that you were unable to reproduce this problem at the Apple Store. To reproduce the problem for an Apple Store Genius, arrive at the store early, open the display and leave a high contrast white-on-black or black-on-white image on your screen for several minutes, then take it away as the Genius arrives and there should be many pixels on the screen. The Genius I had interpreted the problem as "stuck pixels" rather than image retention. Let me know how it goes.

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Mmm you probably right! It’s true that I have updated my OS from El Capitan to Sierra about 5-6 months ago, and I had no problem before...
BTW I bought a new external hard drive especially to save my Mac with Time Machine, and then I’ll try to restore it. I will give you some news after this

Thank you Jo!

You welcome. The OS always has a glitch, when that system had been using for a certain period of years without a fresh install. So, try it and hope that will go away. Thanks

Last edited:

TIT4N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks for all your answers!

StainGate ??
(if you don't know what that is, research it)

I'd take it to an Apple Store and show it to them...

After looking for some « Staingate » problems on Google, I’m probably sure that’s it’s not the problem I have, it looks really different.

The problem might be image retention. Those dots are there because they are temporarily retained on the screen based on a previous image that was displayed on your screen for a long time. I experienced this myself. You can easily recreate this problem.

Leave a high contrast image on your screen for several minutes. I am displaying the word "HELLO!" with white letters on a black background.

image-retention-1.png

Then switch the screen to something else. You should see the word retained on the screen.

image-retention-2.png

As you said, it does fade away after a few minutes. However, my experience was that the problem got worse over time and a greater area would experience the image retention problem. The good news is that I was able to get this display replaced under Apple Care at the Apple Store. You mentioned that you were unable to reproduce this problem at the Apple Store. To reproduce the problem for an Apple Store Genius, arrive at the store early, open the display and leave a high contrast white-on-black or black-on-white image on your screen for several minutes, then take it away as the Genius arrives and there should be many pixels on the screen. The Genius I had interpreted the problem as "stuck pixels" rather than image retention. Let me know how it goes.

Really interesting... I tried to leave a high contrast image on my screen to reproduce this problem, I will check the result in a few hours. On your screen it’s true that it’s looks like mine. I will get you in touch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.