Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjetbjert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone

I have been looking around and seen that a few people are experiencing simular issues. However it seems that I got caught in the perfect storm.

Specs:
Macbook Pro 15'' early 2011
2.0 Core i7
4GB RAM 256MB VRAM
500GB HD

For some reason my recovery partisan just isn't there. So if i boot using command + r nothing happens. It’s not selectable if i boot holding options either.

Ive also tried to run it on safe mode, internet recovery, single user mode and tried to boot it from a OS mounted on a Flash drive but nothing seems to work. I'm out of ideas on how to repair or format the disk.
I cant find the disc that came with my mac either but i doubt that that would help me.

I tried to boot in Verbose mode to see what my mac is struggling with but I can’t see what its working on before the screen goes white.

I've tried to reset PRAM/NVRAM and SMC

Game over?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Which OS? If it is the original 10.6, then there would be no Recovery partition.

Also could be a HDD SATA cable or a graphics dGPU problem (a known problem with 2011 MBPs).

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sounds like a dead gpu. I had a late 2011 15" MBP and the machine would always boot to a white screen and never finish booting.

I had the gpu replaced and it's back to normal.

kjetbjert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Which OS? If it is the original 10.6, then there would be no Recovery partition.

Also could be a HDD SATA cable or a graphics dGPU problem (a known problem with 2011 MBPs).

Thank you for your reply.
Hey coastal :)
I am/was running it on 10.13 Higher Sierra

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I also suspect a failing/failed dGPU (AMD Radeon HD 6490M). The best way to check it is to have a Apple Store run their diagnostic tests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.