Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
My comment about the white-washing of Chick-Fil-A by moderators has been removed by the moderator. (Along with many prior comments by others about management social policy).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-does-chick-fil-a-mean.2169859/

I don't agree with this. Because the post has gone off into more than the original discussion of the meaning of the name, and now many people are praising both the food and the company itself - citing - for example, their supposedly superior treatment of employees - it now shows a completely one-sided view, with any posts critical on the basis of politics or social viewpoint/support on the part of the company/management being removed.

Even suggesting that people "view the Wikipedia article" to see what was censored, was censored.

Sure, the whole thing is off-topic for the site, but it is posted in an off-topic area.

Were it a discussion about something related to Apple, I would HOPE that the post would have been moved to politics/religion/etc. area where this topics CAN be responsibly discussed - it would be be quite unseemly for a forum about "Mac Rumors" to censor posts critical of the company, even if controversial.

So, if you are curious - view the Wikipedia article (or other sources) about Chick-Fil-A.

P.S. I was told in a moderator email that this forum IS an appropriate place for discussion. We are not to discuss moderation in moderated threads.

Reactions: ElectricPotato

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Just because you disagree with the political / religious views of a restaurant owner doesn't mean that those talking about the restaurant itself (two completely different things) are one sided. There are several posts in there talking about how they didn't like the restaurant's food quality. Talking about the political / religious views of the owners is not talking about the restaurant itself and goes into political religion territory.

Granted, Chick-Fil-A tends to cross that line because it is openly conservative and religious but the talk was about the restaurant, not the owners.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My comment about the white-washing of Chick-Fil-A by moderators has been removed by the moderator. (Along with many prior comments by others about management social policy).

I don't agree with this. Because the post has gone off into more than the original discussion of the meaning of the name, and now many people are praising both the food and the company itself - citing - for example, their supposedly superior treatment of employees - it now shows a completely one-sided view, with any posts critical on the basis of politics or social viewpoint/support on the part of the company/management.

Even suggesting that people "view the Wikipedia article" to see what was censored, was censored.

Sure, the whole thing is off-topic for the site, but it is posted in an off-topic area. Were it a discussion about something related to Apple, I would hope that the post would have been moved to politics/religion/etc. area where this topics CAN be responsibly discussed.

So, if you are curious - view the Wikipedia article!

P.S. I was told in a moderator email that this forum IS an appropriate place for discussion.
I understand both your aggrevation towards the policy as well as your disagreement with the beliefs of CFA’s executives. The PRSI forum, however, would house this topic nicely. As an added bonus, you wouldn’t have to deal with me, as I avoid PRSI like the plague.

Cheers.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I understand both your aggrevation towards the policy as well as your disagreement with the beliefs of CFA’s executives. The PRSI forum, however, would house this topic nicely. As an added bonus, you wouldn’t have to deal with me, as I avoid PRSI like the plague.

Cheers.

A much smarter person than I am. ^

Reactions: willmtaylor

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
The thread walked into PRSI when some people began praising the company's treatment of employees. That is now a one-sided view. Those comments were not removed.

For myself, my ONLY moderated comment was one suggesting that participants read the Wikipedia article about the company.

(The moderators missed my comment about "soggy burgers at the White House". Maybe that misses the mark for moderation, since it only commented on the quality of the burgers... I commented that Chick-Fil-A would probably hold better than burgers.)

Reactions: ElectricPotato

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am as guilty as anyone in that thread of taking it off topic to discussions about the quality of their food, its healthiness or lack thereof and discussion about other fast food restaurants.

The thread began as a question about the name. How to pronounce it and what it meant. Strictly speaking, probably all posts not relevant to that question should be deleted.

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
The thread walked into PRSI when some people began praising the company's treatment of employees. That is now a one-sided view. Those comments were not removed.

For myself, my ONLY moderated comment was one suggesting that participants read the Wikipedia article about the company.

(The moderators missed my comment about "soggy burgers at the White House". Maybe that misses the mark for moderation, since it only commented on the quality of the burgers... I commented that Chick-Fil-A would probably hold better than burgers.)

I don’t think praising the company’s treatment of employees was one-sided. I was one. I think I’m qualified to speak on their treatment of employees, which is certainly an aspect of the company which deserves praise. That doesn’t mean that everything about the company deserves praise, nor did anyone in the thread suggest such one-sided opinions. If you are unable to abide someone suggesting that they serve excellent food and generally serve it in an excellent manner while treating their employees well, I’d gently suggest that it is probably your view which is one-sided.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
ADMIN NOTE

I don't agree with this. Because the post has gone off into more than the original discussion of the meaning of the name, and now many people are praising both the food and the company itself - citing - for example, their supposedly superior treatment of employees - it now shows a completely one-sided view, with any posts critical on the basis of politics or social viewpoint/support on the part of the company/management being removed.

Sure, the whole thing is off-topic for the site, but it is posted in an off-topic area.

Were it a discussion about something related to Apple, I would HOPE that the post would have been moved to politics/religion/etc. area where this topics CAN be responsibly discussed - it would be be quite unseemly for a forum about "Mac Rumors" to censor posts critical of the company, even if controversial.

So, if you are curious - view the Wikipedia article (or other sources) about Chick-Fil-A.

P.S. I was told in a moderator email that this forum IS an appropriate place for discussion. We are not to discuss moderation in moderated threads.

You misunderstood the message you were sent. General questions and complaints about the forum rules can be discussed here. Public discussions of specific moderation are however not allowed in any thread, as per the rules. Since however you believed it was ok to post here, I'll answer here rather than delete the thread.

There are a few other misconceptions in your post:

• There is no "off-topic" section on this site.
  • There was no censorship - the only problem was that certain posts contained content that needed to be posted in PRSI. That's why "any posts critical on the basis of politics or social viewpoint/support on the part of the company/management being removed." They belong in PRSI, and were appropriately moderated. Posts that were responses to PRSI material would also have been deleted, because they no longer make sense in context.
  • If you don't agree with moderation, use the Contact Us form. We always take the time to review moderation when a user doesn't agree.
  • If you see other posts in the thread you feel should have been moderated, send post reports and we'll be happy to take a look.

It's possible to post almost anything on MacRumors, as long as you do so within the rules. Keep in mind that removing a post because it violates a rule is not the same thing as censoring a viewpoint. You accepted the rules as part of the registration process.

As I wrote, I chose to answer here only because the OP incorrectly believed it was appropriate to post his comments here. This thread is closed, but further discussion is of course possible via the Contact Us form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.