Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who Can't Play Netflix at 4K with T2 Chip Mac.

• I CAN

• I CAN'T

• View the result only

Results are only viewable after voting.

Canaan_c

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
I would like to know if this is a widespread problem or just minority thing.
Some people at this forum have already succeed to play Netflix with their Mac at 4K. But I don't.
Please leave a message if you can't. And welcome to leave suggestion of solution if you have some.

My device: the latest 2020 iMac 27" with T2 chip with 5700XT display card

Internal Retina display setting: Default

OS system: macOS 11 Big Sur 11.0.1

Browser: Safari 14.0.1

Safari Setting: develop > experimental features: all H.264, H.265 and VP9 related settings are enabled

PS: These are needed for 4K YouTube which I don't have a problem with. Also, if you don't get the "Develop" tap, go to Safari > Preference > Advanced > tick the box "Show Develop menu in menu bar"

Safari develop > User Agent: Tried Safari 14.0.1 and Default

Netflix Subscription: Ultra HD

Netflix Streaming quality setting: High

Internet speed: ~1000Mbps

I have tried to clear Safari History and re-login Netflix to let the resolution ramp up. But, both Playing and Buffering Bitrate are locked at 5800 (for 4K streaming it should be 12000 or 16000).
PS: Press "Shift + Control + Option + D" to get this info while playing Netflix

I have contacted Netflix online chat CS, their response is
"4K Ultra HD support for macOS 11.0 Big Sur is currently in development may not be available at all times"
And they have no solution right now.

So this is my report. Hope someone can help or explain. THANKS.

Rui_yyy

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
ME TOO!! HDCP2.2 supported, network fast enough, premium plan, high-quality option enabled, macos11 & safari 14.0.1. Have not idea why 4K is not working.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
If it doesn’t work it is the video service provider who are toggling the switches, not your hardware.

Reactions: Rui_yyy

Traxi

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
has anybody had this working on an internal display ie MacBook? my MacBook Pro 13inch 2020 is listed as supported however its internal resolution is only 2560 x 1600 which is technically not 4k (3840 x 2160) so im wondering if that's the issue

Youtube works fine in 4k in Safari on Big Sur 11.0.1

Ynk

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Yes it works on internal displays as well but it looks like they are selectively testing this on a per device basis. I can currently get 4K working on my M1 MacBook Air but on my 2020 iMac Desktop it's not going above HD which is annoying as I don't need 4K on a 13" screen :)

jonathanhaslam

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
I have the 2018 15" rMBP with T2 chip, have tried on both the laptops screen, and a external 4K HDCP 2.2 monitor with the MacBook in clamshell mode.

Nothing works for me, can not get 4K to play

jonathanhaslam

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
From Netflix help page
NOTE: 4K Ultra HD support for macOS 11.0 Big Sur is currently in development may not be available at all times.

And from a chat with Netflix
"Jonathan the 4K Ultra HD support for macOS 11.0 Big Sur is currently still in research and development and we have no estimated time frame on when it's due.

Once this feature is already completely available we normally send out email announcements."

aconda442

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2020
Four days ago I bought a new 2020 iMac 27", i5 3,3 GHz 6‑Core, Radeon Pro 5300/4GB GDDR6, 40GB RAM and immediately updated to Big Sur 11.0.1 and Safari 14.0.1.

Watching Netflix movies in Safari the screen will start to flicker and then within a minute the screen mirrors into two exact halves. After quitting Safari I then realise that has also done the same with the finder desktop etc. And no, it isn't the window splitting function. I have exactly the same system OS and Safari on my work iMac 27", 2017 and tried to reproduce the exact scenario but no glitch.

I am specifying Safari in particular because the glitch doesn't happen, with the exact scenario using Firefox or Chrome on the effected iMac. I have attached two videos to better show what I am facing. I have not, even after scouring the internet and here, found any posts regarding this strange glitch apart from this one.

jonathanhaslam

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
After updating from macOS 11.0 to 11.1, I can watch 4K and 60fps in the Netflix Test patterns.
4K only seems to work if I click on the slider on a part of the video that has not already buffered.
Otherwise it seems to pick off where you last watched a video in 1080p, so each time I resume a video I have to click somewhere on the scroll bar.

Reactions: lucabru

lucabru

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
After updating from macOS 11.0 to 11.1, I can watch 4K and 60fps in the Netflix Test patterns.
4K only seems to work if I click on the slider on a part of the video that has not already buffered.
Otherwise it seems to pick off where you last watched a video in 1080p, so each time I resume a video I have to click somewhere on the scroll bar.
Seems to work for me, now the problem is that Safari doesn't play HDR content on my external monitor LG27UL850 connected to my MacBook Pro 13 2019 via usb c to usb c cable. HDR seems be recognized correctly when I flag the option because monitor become dark for a while and then appears an "HDR label". I've also tried to use chrome and youtube seems to work.
I hope someone can help me.
Thanks!

macguyincali

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2004
I'm frustrated. I have a 2019 MB Pro (with T2 chip). I'm able to stream 4k content on YouTube, fiber connection and Netflix does not show any Ultra HD titles are available. Only HD. I've followed all the instructions (set User Profile to High, have the Ultra HD plan), but alas, only HD shows up. I've also used a BENQ 4K monitor with HDCP 2.2 in 4k 60hz and no Ultra HD. Any thoughts on how to fix this, folks?

macguyincali

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2004
I'm frustrated. I have a 2019 MB Pro (with T2 chip). I'm able to stream 4k content on YouTube, fiber connection and Netflix does not show any Ultra HD titles are available. Only HD. I've followed all the instructions (set User Profile to High, have the Ultra HD plan), but alas, only HD shows up. I've also used a BENQ 4K monitor with HDCP 2.2 in 4k 60hz and no Ultra HD. Any thoughts on how to fix this, folks?
So, it appears the Netflix Ultra HD logo appears sporadically when I am browsing videos. Sometimes, when I watch a movie, it will show the HD logo, but then when I click Shift-Control-Option+D (video statistics) it will often show I'm playing in 3840x2160 resolution. So, it seems that at least part of the problem is Netflix is not always able to determine whether your browser is capable of UHD until you start playing a video, so the HD logo appears instead. As I understand it, this is still in beta but seems like they're making progress.

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
So, it appears the Netflix Ultra HD logo appears sporadically when I am browsing videos. Sometimes, when I watch a movie, it will show the HD logo, but then when I click Shift-Control-Option+D (video statistics) it will often show I'm playing in 3840x2160 resolution. So, it seems that at least part of the problem is Netflix is not always able to determine whether your browser is capable of UHD until you start playing a video, so the HD logo appears instead. As I understand it, this is still in beta but seems like they're making progress.
I don't know if everyone has just given up but on a brand new 2020 iMac 5K i7 and
Big Sur 11.6.1 and Safari 15, Netflix won't play back in 4K.

Ynk

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Testing on "Our Planet" it does stream HDR Dolby Vision but not 4k..... Both Video Track Codecs are exactly the same and HDR support: true shows on both but.....

2021 14" MacBook Pro - 3840x2160 @ 18357 bitrate
2020 27" iMac 5700XT - 1920x1080 @ 5947 bitrate

Reactions: foliovision

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Thanks for sharing your tests.
2021 14" MacBook Pro - 3840x2160 @ 18357 bitrate
I have a 2021 14" here right now as well. I'm only getting 1920 x 1080 on it as well with a 5800 bitrate on 4K material (just happens to be The Witcher for testing, not actually watching it). Netflix Ultra HD account, 100 Mbps internet (checked via Netflix's own Fast.com).

Could it be that in Europe Netflix doesn't stream 4K to computers? I am able to get 4K on the Roku here.

Just to be sure, I've tried streaming Our Planet (2019) and got the same 5494 bitrate you did on the iMac 2020 5K. Perplexing.

Ynk

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
You may need to let it run longer, I'm on 100Mbps as well - Tested the Witcher in Safari on the 14" and it loads in 4k - 3840x2160 @ 16000 bitrate - It does take a LONG time for it to move up to 4k on the laptop compared to my TV I was almost 5 minutes in to the episode before it switched.

Pertus

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Thanks for sharing your tests.

I have a 2021 14" here right now as well. I'm only getting 1920 x 1080 on it as well with a 5800 bitrate on 4K material (just happens to be The Witcher for testing, not actually watching it). Netflix Ultra HD account, 100 Mbps internet (checked via Netflix's own Fast.com).

Could it be that in Europe Netflix doesn't stream 4K to computers? I am able to get 4K on the Roku here.

Just to be sure, I've tried streaming Our Planet (2019) and got the same 5494 bitrate you did on the iMac 2020 5K. Perplexing.
Same here, the new 2021 14" MBP, Netflix Ultra HD account, 300 Mbps internet and I only get 1080p/5800 kbps bitrate Dolby Vision. What's strange is that when I test Our Planet show I see 6354 kbps bitrate but also 1080p Dolby Vision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.