Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Hate The New Netlfix Rating System

• No, I prefer the Like/Dislike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Howl's Castle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
I don't know what crack they were smoking in Netflix HQs, but I hate the new rating system. Titles I have rated poorly are now being suggested as a 70% match.. Ugghhh!

Reactions: Christina19809

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I stopped using the old rating system because the service would still recommend stuff I didn't want to see.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Netflix ratings and reccomendations in general sucks... I think the system is diluted by the number of awful movies. 4 stars on netflix can be a 4 on imdb. They'd be better off sourcing their ratings from a 3rd party (IMDb, rotten tomatoes, etc)

They removed the sort by "highest rated" filter a while back which is incredibly annoying. That was a quick way of filtering the better content to the top.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't know what crack they were smoking in Netflix HQs, but I hate the new rating system. Titles I have rated poorly are now being suggested as a 70% match.. Ugghhh!

I've not paid attention, is it simply a like or dislike now? If so I don't like it either. Maybe I'll pay attention for the next show I watch. ;) That on all accounts is inferior to a star system, even though a star system can serve the viewer poorly.

Netflix ratings and reccomendations in general sucks... I think the system is diluted by the number of awful movies. 4 stars on netflix can be a 4 on imdb. They'd be better off sourcing their ratings from a 3rd party (IMDb, rotten tomatoes, etc)

They removed the sort by "highest rated" filter a while back which is incredibly annoying. That was a quick way of filtering the better content to the top.

Can it be surmised they are reducing the accuracy of this info to get viewers to watch more (bad) content?

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I'm mixed. I prefer thumbs up and down for my own personal rating (easier), but I preferred the star rating to figure out what to watch.

SeaRayder

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
Binary decisions in an analogue world. I don't like it and I've lost all my ratings, and it's a pain in the butt cause if I've rated it I've seen it and now I'm asking myself 'have I seen this one?'.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
1. I have ~170 movies in my queues. I order it 5 star to 3 star so that the movies that I most want to see are watched first.

2. I want to know which movies I've rated 4 star and 5 star. 3 star is "ok movie" 4 star for me is "I'd like to it watch again" and 5 star is "one of the best movies I've ever seen".

Up/Down for me is useless.

As for their ratings, for me they are accurate greater than 50% of the time which I find rather amazing giving the extraordinary large range of peoples tastes and interests.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I haven't found either system to be particularly effective. Before the change came. I had no idea the star system was meant as a possible match to me. I simply thought the star system was a general ratings. I simply thought people really liked some of the awful movies.

I too would rather the rating be based on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. Listing both critic and viewer ratings separately.

Although I don't mind the matching. It will match shows or movies with something I recently watched. Regardless of my rating. Which is useless. At least it also matches shows I like. Which is how I found Poirot and Sherlock from watching Murdoch Mysteries.

Of course. I would also love it if Netflix offered English dubbed tracks to foreign films. Subtitles are useless if I'm cooking dinner while watching a movie. I can understand this for foreign films which have no English track. If it's already been released on DVD/Blu Ray with an English track. There is no reason not to include it on Netflix. Which is a shame as I wanted to watch "The Legend of Drunken Master" in HD. I guess I'll have to dig out my DVD.

Subtitles aren't great for people with poor eyesight either. I also question the accuracy. As I leave subtitles on to read what is being said in movies which overdue it on the music/background noise while actors are speaking. I have noted many errors in the transcription. I mean how hard is it to transcribe something? Can't studios be bothered with hiring a good stenographer to write the subtitles? What's a couple grand for a multi-million dollar movie.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The new rating system has actually broken functionality. For example I used to be able to ask Siri to filter out crap from the Netflix search results by saying "show me only the good ones" and all the 1-star and 2-star dreck would go away. Now that doesn't work--not a single title gets filtered out.

I really miss the days when Netflix presented its catalog like an Excel spreadsheet. In particular I miss being able to sort by columns. For example you could do a search for "drama" and then sort the "ratings" columns so they would be ranked best to worst, starting at the top.

Flipping through a much smaller number of random cover images with no regard to rating is such a huge waste of time and a disappointment. And now they've taken away my last remaining method for filtering out the crap.

Time to do some more research on how to get around Netflix's terrible UI.

Howl's Castle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
I dropped Netflix over a year ago but the old system didn't seem that great.
I could never drop Netflix. I think it has the best selection of shows out of all the popular streaming services, and has stopped piracy in my house (My son got me a bill from my ISP where I had to pay over 100$)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I could never drop Netflix. I think it has the best selection of shows out of all the popular streaming services, and has stopped piracy in my house (My son got me a bill from my ISP where I had to pay over 100$)

I found I never used it and was keeping it around for when family visited. I ended up dropping it after I found that people preferred watching YouTube over Netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.