Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I have the subscription, but you can also see the magazine on-line each month with extras including additional photos in the galleries for each feauture. These have basic data from the photographers like what type of camera, film - if any, lens mm, lighting techniques, etc. There are also some on assignment notes that are interesting to read. My favorite this month are the photos in the Glen Canyon feature. http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0604/feature3/index.html (the gallery and assignment notes can be selected from among the left side items)

For those who haven't explored the NG site - the website is:

http://www.ngm.com. The page is updated each month - this month the url has 0406 - to see last months, just change this to 0306, etc.

It would be great to hear what features others have liked.

LG

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
it's still a treat...

to get the new issues in the mail each month. I quickly go through the pictorials, then put the issue down. later on I go back and slowly go through every page and scan the articles.

i've noticed that lately every issue talks about global warming in some way or another, seems like they always try to bring it into the context of the articles they write :confused:

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I took anthropology in high school and my teacher would occasionally bring in NG issues that he thought had amazing pictures and show the class. It was a great way to get us all interested in other cultures and areas of the world.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Hey law guy,

That was a neat pic of the Glen Canyon!

Used to read a lot of NG back when I was young, and now it's online, I can check it out more frequently.

Thanks!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, a subscription only costs $15 per year? I would have expected it to be more since other magazines charge around the same. How can NG do so much with so little money, especially now that people can check their site for free?

Anyway, great images. Weird how that first image was taken at f/2.8 while all the other outdoor photos of Glen Canyon were taken at f/8 and "smaller". Before I looked at his camera settings, I figured it was taken at f/9 or f/11, or possibly even at smaller apertures, but meh, this guy obviously knows better than me. :p

EDIT TO ADD: I really enjoyed the site. I went into the "YOUR SHOT" area where NG has a photo contest like the one here at MR (except probably heaps better :p ), where they pick a theme and people submit photos. But the cool part is that the editors tell you why they picked a certain photo as their favourite, so you do kinda learn something as well.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Abstract said:
Wow, a subscription only costs $15 per year? I would have expected it to be more since other magazines charge around the same. How can NG do so much with so little money, especially now that people can check their site for free?

Well, the fulll articles are only available with a subscription, but I too am impressed with all they are able to do - the National Geo Society certainly has some outlay for these expeditions. The site is great because it supplements each issue - there are several weblinks even listed in the hard copy where you can learn more or see additional images, etc. It's great to have the images printed in vibrant color in hard copy that you can really sit with and take in, but it's nice to read the photographer's notes on-line. It's a nice combination of print and on-line publishing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.