Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tassyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
I'm interested in using an iPad as a 'home' control centre and looking for folks who have done it who could provide app recommendations, installation mounting products/hacks/photos and best location in the home suggestions

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I use the Home app on any of my devices to control elements of my apartment. Light bulbs, a thermostat and blinds so far. As far as location goes. Just leave it anywhere u want, surely the joy/simplicity of being able to just pick up the iPad to use it is better than having it attached to a wall?

pedrowerner

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2016
I just use my watch ️ to control airplay, Apple TV, lights and is the nearest Hey Siri device which works most of the times pretty well.

Reactions: Arran

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Yes and no.
To be honest, most of my day-to-day home automation interface is done via the Amazon Echo. I also have the automation apps on my various devices.

I do have one iPad mini that's specifically used to control the various home automation, along with media control (music, Apple TV, etc). Right now, it's on a 12 South HiRise on a table in front of my TV.

I use the individual apps (I.e. The Philips hue app) instead of Apple's Home control app - I tried it but it was kind of disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.