Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
On one of my earlier G4 YouTube threads someone mentioned they use the Roccat browser with mobile UA for YouTube playback... I never heard of this browser before. It's a WebKit based browser, like Safari, and also available for iOS and intel. From what I've seen, it looks to be a pretty good browser and I believe is the only browser available for all Macs (PPC and intel from OS X 10.5.8 up until 10.14 Mojave.)
Who uses this browser and how do you feel about it compared to Webkit, TenFourFox, ect.

For those wanting to download it: https://runecats.com/roccat-browser-for-mac/

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's not really a "new" browser. It's just a front end to WebKit. So it's no newer than whatever safari version is installed. For leopard thats safari 5. You can however relink it against leopard WebKit to update it a bit though.

Cheers

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I tried to use it for a while but many sites were inaccessible due to TLS errors - including parts of their own site!

When I raised this with someone from Runecats, they informed me that they'd check for a solution.

That was a year ago.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
It's not really a "new" browser. It's just a front end to WebKit. So it's no newer than whatever safari version is installed. For leopard thats safari 5. You can however relink it against leopard WebKit to update it a bit though.

Cheers
So.. its pretty much useless then. I thought it was actually a new browser, being updated frequently like Chrome or Firefox or even TenFourFox. The browser is no good if it uses Safari 5, even if it is linked to Webkit, whats the point anyways?
Got a bit excited that maybe someone out there was making a browser for both PPC and intel on all versions of OS X starting from 10.5.
[doublepost=1567686173][/doublepost]
I tried to use it for a while but many sites were inaccessible due to TLS errors - including parts of their own site!

When I raised this with someone from Runecats, they informed me that they'd check for a solution.

That was a year ago.
A new browser being developed for PPC and intel on all version of OS X with 2019 web standards.
Too good to be true.....
It's not really a web browser at all? Completely useless to the PPC community.
We just have to appreciate the real hardworking developers who bring us great browsers like TenFourFox and Webkit.

Reactions: z970

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
A new browser being developed for PPC and intel on all version of OS X with 2019 web standards.
Too good to be true.....
It's not really a web browser at all? Completely useless to the PPC community.
We just have to appreciate the real hardworking developers who bring us great browsers like TenFourFox and Webkit.

I agree with you: it wasn't a good look that no-one connected to the project had bothered to test the browser with older versions of OS X (seeing as they emphasise its compatibility with 10.5 and PPC) and check for something so obvious such as whether their own home site can be accessed properly with their browser! Perhaps they've fixed it since but they never followed through on contacting me.

The latest update was released in November 2018 and their forum is not policed and as a result has been thoroughly spammed. Which shows me that they're not really paying great attention to the project.

On the positive, I'm also enjoying Iceweasel on my iBook. :)

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I agree with you: it wasn't a good look that no-one connected to the project had bothered to test the browser with older versions of OS X (seeing as they emphasise its compatibility with 10.5 and PPC) and check for something so obvious such as whether their own home site can be accessed properly with their browser! Perhaps they've fixed it since but they never followed through on contacting me.

The latest update was released in November 2018 and their forum is not policed and as a result has been thoroughly spammed. Which shows me that they're not really paying great attention to the project.

On the positive, I'm also enjoying Iceweasel on my iBook. :)

Safari 5 is completely useless making Roccat useless.
Just wondering, what year are the web standards of Iceweasel? (Webkit: 2017, TenFourFox 2015)

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Why not try and use it before jumping to uninformed opinions? As it can use the same engine as Leopard Webkit, you may as well dismiss that too...

In fact, any developer that is still supporting PPC should be commended!
It CAN use Safari 11... (leopard webkit) but why not just use Webkit in that case?
I called Safari 5 useless, and I've used Safari 5 many times in the past.
''Please upgrade your browser'' ''Sorry, your browser is unsupported'' ''Oops! Your browser doesn't seem to be supported''

Or: ''Safari can't establish a secure connection''

Calling Safari 5 unsupported is an understatement. Webkit, is based on Safari 11 which is up to date for most things.
I don't even use Webkit except for video playback anyways. TenFourFox will always be my first browser choice, I like the design and all the add ons much better. It's such a customizable browser.
I take back anytime I've ever criticized it for being slow, bloated, heavy, and for being terrible for video playback, there are solutions to literally every problem I've had with this browser.
Anyone who developes for PPC, really should be commended.

Last edited:

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
You're free to...but Roccat is a different design, has extra features and when I used it was faster. But because it is in constant development it can be buggy.
Does Roccat maintain that modern Safari design where as Leopard Webkit has the default Safari 5 design? (which I don't mind)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.