Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I formatted a 6TB spinning drive w APFS for backing up my Catalina SSD drive. Then wrongly dropped an additional folder of files onto the 6TB drive. The folder disappeared. Anyone know how to view/recover the folder? The keystrokes Command+shift+period do not work to make the folder visible.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
You can try a simple terminal command to list whatever is in that directory
Code:
ls -a /Volumes/Your6TBDisk

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
TheFlash:~ johnr$ ls -a /Volumes/6TB

. Library home

.. System opt

.DS_Store Users private

.VolumeIcon.icns Volumes sbin

.file bin tmp

.fseventsd cores usr

.vol dev var

Applications etc

TheFlash:~ johnr$

ZMachintosh, I didn't see the folder listed. I dropped the folder on to the drive icon. But maybe I didn't realize what I was looking at in terminal.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
what was the folder name?

also, if you open the 6TB in a new Finder window and select View > Show Status Bar, does it have a a little icon in the lower left?

it may not even have been transferred if its not read/write compatible, you may also control click the 6TB and select Ignore permissions.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I have since read many of the instructions from Carbon Copy Cloner 5 and viewed a CCC5 video. I don't totally understand why I must direct a vol. to to backup by Finder rather than drag and drop, but I'm getting there. The folder is inside the Data folder for the Vol. targeted once the vol is converted to APFS. I may not have all this correct, but I'm getting there. Thank you for responding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.