Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
My iPhone's home button got clicky and cracky right after 7 days of expiry of warranty. That was a year ago.

And now, after 22 days since my warranty got over my macbook pro 2017 13" TB started having unresponsive key with the letter 'N'. I'm typing the line below with one key stroke of the letter N followed by a space, see how it registers...

n n n nn n n nn nn nn nn n nn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn n nn nn n nn nn nn n.

It's registering key strokes twice and sometimes not at all; really inconsistent. While posting this thread, I had to do 7-8 spelling corrections, not because I typed them wrong, but because my computer for which I had to sell a kidnney, decided to not register the stroke.

Why do the GODs hate me so much!!

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
You know they have a 4 year replacement program for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro Keyboard?
I did nnot know that. Where cann I get more info onn this?

Also, do they replace the keys with nnewer membranne versions? I'm curious because what is there to say that other keys won't have the same problem!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
It sucks, but thankfully there is the 4 year repair program, and it won’t cost you a penny. Just backup the computer and take it in and they’ll replace the top case, including the keyboard.
[doublepost=1537300164][/doublepost]
I did nnot know that. Where cann I get more info onn this?

Also, do they replace the keys with nnewer membranne versions? I'm curious because what is there to say that other keys won't have the same problem!
No they do not replace the keys with the new design. All replacements are the gen 2 keyboard design. All you have to do is call Apple and tell them you have a key that is not registering correct and you need the keyboard replaced under the 4 year repair program.

Reactions: spyguy10709

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Based onn my experience from apple authorised service cennters here in India, the process of them examining and reporting and giving a solutionn takes about 2-3 weeks. Innsane service for a luxury item like this.

Also I have dbrannd skinns innstalled all over the laptop (front, back, trackpad). I assume they will be gone as well. :(

Just what I need. Great.

SOmethinng worth mentioning, I think. During the last one year of usage, I have actually noticed problems with keys onnce or twice. Onnce the left control got stuck, like clicking it didn't make any sound, it was kinnd of mushy, but after a day or two it came back to normal. There was another time when some keys wonn't register but after couple of hours, they got back to normal. I do not know what those were about but this time, it surely seems weird because I've actually tried blowing with air from my mouth as much as I could and I've doe so twisting , positionninng, angling it in various directionns inn the last 3 hours, and nothing.

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Based onn my experience from apple authorised service cennters here in India, the process of them examining and reporting and giving a solutionn takes about 2-3 weeks. Innsane service for a luxury item like this.

Also I have dbrannd skinns innstalled all over the laptop (front, back, trackpad). I assume they will be gone as well. :(

Just what I need. Great.

SOmethinng worth mentioning, I think. During the last one year of usage, I have actually noticed problems with keys onnce or twice. Onnce the left control got stuck, like clicking it didn't make any sound, it was kinnd of mushy, but after a day or two it came back to normal. There was another time when some keys wonn't register but after couple of hours, they got back to normal. I do not know what those were about but this time, it surely seems weird because I've actually tried blowing with air from my mouth as much as I could and I've doe so twisting , positionninng, angling it in various directionns inn the last 3 hours, and nothing.

Maybe you can purchase a can of compressed air like 3M or others made for keyboards. Give that a try for a few dollars to see if it starts to work.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.24.19 PM.png

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Just what I need. Great.

The service replaces the top case of the system. The top case consists of the Aluminum plate your hands rest on, keyboard, trackpad, and the battery. So any issues with other keys, trackpad, or battery life are fixed by this repair/replacement.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Thank you guys for the supportive and helpful responses.

I blew on the key with 'mouth air' until I started feeling dizzy. Turns out the problem is, solved? To some extent at least. I stroke 150 times continuously without any typing error. However I did notice couple of times very rarely afterwards, specially when I press near someplace weird or around the very edges where someone normally won't hit to type a word, like that.

I'm just surprised what simple dust/air can do to a computer's primary input device. And replacing the entire keyboard - what a horrible choice Apple must have made when they designed the top enclosure. I just feel slightly relaxed seeing that the keyboard repair program for me would be until 2022.

Reactions: Painter2002

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Apple does also give some instructions on how to clean out the debris from your keyboard that cause the keyboard issues. Using compressed air:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

Some stuff might still be stuck under there. Once I took my 2016 15” in to the Apple Store for stuck/repeating keys. They cleaned out the keyboard in the backroom and it worked fine again. About a week later I started having the same issue again and took it back in again. They ended up sending it to the repair center and replaced the topcase. (Keyboard/trackpad/battery)
So you do get a new battery as well when they replace it.

Reactions: IngerMan

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I had a busted earphone speaker replaced in my old 6S when it was 3 months out of warrenty, 7 days out they should have done the same surely

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Sorry but this is too funny.
n n n n nn n n n nn n n nn nn n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n

Laugh at this. :p

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
The problem nnever went away. See! Every singnle time I type, all the typos are because of the keyword nn. Sometimes it registers 2 or 3 or even 4 times and sometimes it doesn't. I might have to go to a shop after all. :(

n nn nn n n nn n n n nn n n n n nn n n n n n nn n n n n nn nn n n .

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
The problem nnever went away. See! Every singnle time I type, all the typos are because of the keyword nn. Sometimes it registers 2 or 3 or even 4 times and sometimes it doesn't. I might have to go to a shop after all. :(

n nn nn n n nn n n n nn n n n n nn n n n n n nn n n n n nn nn n n .
Sorry to hear that, but yes, you’ll need to pay a visit to an Apple Store eventually. The repeating key issue is a typical symptom of the 2016/2017 keyboard failure, and any kind of cleaning will just alleviate the problem temporarily. The only actual fix is to get it replaced for free and cross fingers that it doesn’t happen again.

Reactions: Sovon Halder

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I mailed my 2017 for replacement a couple months ago. Apple overnighted it both ways so I essentially was only down a day. Dropped it off around 7pm, delivered two days later around 8am.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
In May 2018 it took exactly 7 days for my machine. It comes from Bengaluru to all over India, so if someone is closer, he might get a faster service.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Sorry to hear that, but yes, you’ll need to pay a visit to an Apple Store eventually. The repeating key issue is a typical symptom of the 2016/2017 keyboard failure, and any kind of cleaning will just alleviate the problem temporarily. The only actual fix is to get it replaced for free and cross fingers that it doesn’t happen again.
Yep. Seemed like the issue lessened right after blowing it in earlier days. But it comes back.

The OP is in India so I don't think the repair will be as quick.
Yep. Speaking of that... last time I tried to get service for my AirPods, it took me 3 visits ad took 19 days. The time duration I could deal with. The 'genius' who was in charge of that service, that lady, was the most arrogant, ignorant and inept Apple worker I had seen in past 10 years. I even wrote to Apple about it as well. I'm from Hyderabad and the Apple store I went was iCenter Dilsukhnagar. Don't go there ever.

Last edited:

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
The service replaces the top case of the system. The top case consists of the Aluminum plate your hands rest on, keyboard, trackpad, and the battery. So any issues with other keys, trackpad, or battery life are fixed by this repair/replacement.
Just curious... In this scenario, does the trackpad include taptic engine as well?

Also, do I need to format the drive and remove my iCloud account when I hand over my mac to the 'genius' people? (I wonder how else they would login otherwise. They can check from recovery menu text editors or terminal etc. Not sure though.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.