Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watsdamattabruh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2023
I thought Apple had fixed the backlight issue, also known as flexgate, back in 2018. However, I have experienced the same flexgate issue on my lightly-used MacBook Pro 2020 model, which is only two years old. Do you know of any way to prevent this issue and what could be the major cause of flexgate? Additionally, is there a way to report this matter to Apple? It's frustrating that they aren't providing a service program for this and are instead quoting me $550 for a screen replacement. Also, has anyone else on this forum experienced a similar issue? I have found some similar cases on Reddit and the Apple discussion forum(1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Thanks

Last edited:

theMarble

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Flexgate was still around on the 2019 and the Intel 2020. Never heard of it happening on the M1, as IIRC they redesigned the display cable. Being Flexgate, there isn't any way to slow it down or prevent it from going further.

I would personally go talk to a different Apple Store, see what they have to say.

Reactions: watsdamattabruh

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
Another Dustgate here on 2019 16" ... they refuse to change display for free. I think we will see more and more that kind of failure on all Macbook Pro even on M ones, I found quite few threads over the web with this problem for different models from 2016-2021 MBP ...
They should open Repair Program for this issue !

View attachment 2195902

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.