Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Hi, I have recently noticed while ptrinting my pics that they are oldly grainy...

i have the a s2 powershot set at (photo size and type) 2592x1944 and its are supersharp setting... but the pictures are really really grainy... icant show u the picture but I can tell yo the settings

iso 400
shutter speed 1/1600
f/2.7

i think its becuse of the iso?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
It's the supersharp setting, most likely? ISO 400 is relatively grain-free as far as ISOs go, but that could also depend on the quality of the CMOS sensor and firmware.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
sorry i men super fine... thats the highest quality setting on the camera

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
thanks man Im goin to try that out from what i see it looks good... ill check back with comments. in a few hours :p i got another game to go take some pictures for :cool:

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Looks like everyone is focusing (no pun intended) on the wrong thing here. You said when you PRINT your images they appear "grainy". By grainy, I gather you mean you see digital noise or jagged, unclean edges?

If this is the case, chances are the problem is your printer/color space/ink/paper and not the camera itself. Also, the S2 is only a 5MP camera so trying to print 8x10 might, at times, cause some degrading of quality.

What printer are you using, what paper are you using, and have you changed/cleaned the ink cartridges recently? Also, are you doing any manipulation to the photos on your computer first?

L

Lau

My Canon Powershot looks grainy (as in noisy) at 400 ISO on screen and in print.

As Gary said, that's a high shutter speed and so if you were to cut it to even 1/1000, or 1/800 you could drop the ISO.

I turned off the supersharp thing because it made the photos too sharp for my liking, and it looked horrible round the edges of things.

Do you have an example you could post here? (If it is just in print and doesn't show up on screen, like clintob says, it might be the printer).

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
well i cant show u the example because im entering it in a contest and It says NO PUBLISHING eletronicly or phycically...

ok back on subject WOW NinjaNoise is amzing.... it's just that watermrk... im goin to try and beat the system and find the watermark and delte it but i cant find it anyone who has please tell me... im lazy and cant buy... Im saveing up for a rebel and need all the money i can get so...ya

or post a free noise remove because that one worked wonders

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
b0tt094 said:
well i cant show u the example because im entering it in a contest and It says NO PUBLISHING eletronicly or phycically...

ok back on subject WOW NinjaNoise is amzing.... it's just that watermrk... im goin to try and beat the system and find the watermark and delte it but i cant find it anyone who has please tell me... im lazy and cant buy... Im saveing up for a rebel and need all the money i can get so...ya

I understand on the cost.

I use that program every single day. I love it. It has some very advanced features that just rock the house.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
spicyapple said:
It's the supersharp setting, most likely? ISO 400 is relatively grain-free as far as ISOs go, but that could also depend on the quality of the CMOS sensor and firmware.

It is the ISO. This is a tiny, point and shoot sized sensor which will have noise at 400. It's there at 100. Most P&S cameras have noise issues above ISO 100.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
beavo451 said:
It is the ISO. This is a tiny, point and shoot sized sensor which will have noise at 400. It's there at 100. Most P&S cameras have noise issues above ISO 100.
Yeah, it sounds like the ISO. It depends on the model... I would say plenty of P&S digitals do just fine at 100 or 200, but 400+ does tend to be pretty noisy.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
ok ya i dont use my own printer i go down to cvs and do them... and im uploadin my pictures from today's game.... can any give a link to a free anti noise program because i love Ninjanoise program but i have to save my cash

3rd edit... lowered ISO and shutter speed... 1000000 times better... thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
b0tt094 said:
Hi, I have recently noticed while ptrinting my pics that they are oldly grainy...

What you are calling "grain" is what they call "noise". It can be reduced in post processing but you trade noise for sharpness.

To really get rid of it you ned a dfferent camera. But camera design is a trade off. The lower noise camera will have a physically larger CCD sensor and physically larger lens and cost and weigh more.

The route cause of this is the fact that light comes on packets called photons and in low light not many of these hit the very small pixels on the sensor and the noise you see is the result of the statistics of small numbers. Bigger pixels are the only real fix for this.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
b0tt094 said:
ok ya i dont use my own printer i go down to cvs and do them... and im uploadin my pictures from today's game.... can any give a link to a free anti noise program because i love Ninjanoise program but i have to save my cash

Free software... http://www.gimp.org

You don't need special anti-noise software. Just go in with a normal image editor like the above. Make some fuzzy selections of areas of the image that are most uniform, like the sky where noise is most noticable and aplly a slight gausian blur. Noise does not show in areas here ther is much detail.

Here it is in more detail
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Gaussian_Blur/

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
trust me i have gimp and I'm great at gimp but i need something directly targetted at noise reduction.

oo ya and sorry about the whole grain thing... old habits die hard

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Ya i do want to thank everyone for they're help because it has made my pictures crisper and clearer, the only thing i need now is a link to a Free noise reduction program and i will be content for about 2 hours before i come back... i have horrible self infliceted OCD :cool: :p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
b0tt094 said:

i have the a s2 powershot set at (photo size and type) 2592x1944 and its are supersharp setting... but the pictures are really really grainy... icant show u the picture but I can tell yo the settings

iso 400
shutter speed 1/1600
f/2.7

i think its becuse of the iso?

It may be, or it may be because the shot is underexposed. Underexposing pictures will add noise very quickly.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
b0tt094 said:

Theft is wrong.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Are you shooting in jpeg/raw or both? I have noticed that if you bring a raw (in this case .cr2) into iPhoto it can appear grainy. Check that - I made the mistake of placing a couple of the unconverted raw files in a calendar and they appeared grainy. It would seem odd that at iso400 with the canon sensor you would have that much noise.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
jpeg... all the pictures have greatly increased in quality since dropping the iso and shuttter speed.... and i kno Theft is wrong I felt bad just for posting that, but w/e Im don't havecash and im saveing up for a rebel xt or xti with 70-300mm lens with a speedflah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.