Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
This is odd, I was looking at filters at Adorama and found a disclaimer that states "Due to Manufacturer Restrictions, This Item can NOT be Shipped to California"

http://www.adorama.com/ONSGI1Q.html

I have this odd image in my mind of someone taking pictures in CA and the cops running after them, gun drawn, yelling PUT DOWN THE FILTER or HES GOT A FILTER. I'm not in the state, just curious is all. I'm into firearms and you will see this on many gun items, but I can understand the legal issue(s) there. What I don't get is the issue with a filter.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
If I had to guess why it can not be shipping to California, I'd say it was something to do with the coating on the filter. Maybe one of the chemicals used is banned in CA.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
A number of their products on the Adorama site have that restriction. If I had to guess, I would imagine they're protecting an existing distribution channel. Since they're based here in Northern California, that channel would presumably be their own direct sales through telescope.com.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
My first thought was also environmental. My lawnmower has several large stickers on it stating it can not be sold in California.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.