Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIs🐵

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2021
I bought the new MacBook Pro this week. Today I connected my iPhone to this new MacBook to backup it. The option “Encrypt local backup was already selected” so I clicked “Back Up Now” and was expecting it will ask me to set the backup password, but it didn’t. It just started the backup.
So what will the password be set to for this backup?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If you did an encrypted backup for the iPhone on the old Mac and migrated your files from the old Mac to the new MBP, then it would have the password you setup for the first encrypted backup on the old Mac.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I bought the new MacBook Pro this week. Today I connected my iPhone to this new MacBook to backup it. The option “Encrypt local backup was already selected” so I clicked “Back Up Now” and was expecting it will ask me to set the backup password, but it didn’t. It just started the backup.
So what will the password be set to for this backup?
I got a new Studio like 6 weeks ago, setup as new, signed in with the same appleID on all devices and never prompted me for a password either when backing up iphone. So I have to assume it’s somewhat tied to your AppleID/iPhone.

ThisIs🐵

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2021
If you did an encrypted backup for the iPhone on the old Mac and migrated your files from the old Mac to the new MBP, then it would have the password you setup for the first encrypted backup on the old Mac.
I did not migrate files from the old Mac, that’s why it surprised my by not asking to set new password.

ThisIs🐵

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2021
I got a new Studio like 6 weeks ago, setup as new, signed in with the same appleID on all devices and never prompted me for a password either when backing up iphone. So I have to assume it’s somewhat tied to your AppleID/iPhone.
I don’t use iCloud Keychain either, so I doubt it got it from iCloud.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
So I have to assume it’s somewhat tied to your AppleID/iPhone.
Based on the following discussions, both seem possible(?):

I am not seeing anything related to Apple ID in the Knowledge Base article:

So, an interesting behavior indeed. 🤔

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Based on the following discussions, both seem possible(?):

I am not seeing anything related to Apple ID in the Knowledge Base article:

So, an interesting behavior indeed. 🤔
Thanks for the links.
I did setup my Mac Studio as new, and I certainly noticed that several settings were set to the same as they were on my iMac (and are on my MBA) so I assume there is some Tue to the AppleID.
As far as the iPhone backup goes, if the pwd for the encrypted backup were taken from the iPhone, why did it not prompt to verify it?
The other behavior I’m noticing is that when plugging my iPhone into the studio it asks me everything “trust this computer” and I have to enter the passcode…

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The other behavior I’m noticing is that when plugging my iPhone into the studio it asks me everything “trust this computer” and I have to enter the passcode…
That behavior was introduced a few updates ago. Security measure.

As to why not asking about encrypting backups, guessing here as have not setup a new Mac in a while: Setup Assistant with settings only transferred? Could be coming from iCloud Keychain: some things are stored in iCloud Keychain but not viewable, so when signing into Apple ID/iCloud, down comes with the existing password?

Apple sets [kSecAttrSynchronizable] attribute for Safari user data (including user names, passwords, and credit card numbers) as well as for Wi-Fi passwords, HomeKit encryption keys, and other keychain items supporting end-to-end iCloud encryption.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
That behavior was introduced a few updates ago. Security measure.

As to why not asking about encrypting backups, guessing here as have not setup a new Mac in a while: Setup Assistant with settings only transferred? Could be coming from iCloud Keychain: some things are stored in iCloud Keychain but not viewable, so when signing into Apple ID/iCloud, down comes with the existing password?

Thanks, was running Monterey on my iMac so this prompt every time was introduced with Ventura, somewhat annoying but fine.
As for encryption password, I did not run setup assistant so can only think of iCloud Keychain, but…

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
I am experiencing the same issue. Seems to have started fairly recently.

My Iphone IS encrypted so I kinda understand that (but again never used to prompt). However on my iPad which has no encryption it also prompts for password when I start a backup.

I would be curious as to why this is and how to disable this (take it back to how it was before where I just connected to iMac, clicked backup now and walked away.

Btw... while i'm here in the iTunes screen where you select to back up - HOW do you change the buttons to tell it to backup to Mac and not iCloud? I know this is a setting but forget how.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.