Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsmorelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hello.

In the list of default browsers for macOS Monterey Version 12.6 (System Preference > General), two Microsoft Edge (different versions) appear.

In the applications folder, there is only one Microsoft Edge and it is up to date.

What is the reason for this? Is there a way to fix this?

Here are some images (in portuguese):

1664151566077.png

1664151585153.png

1664151708413.png

Jayayess1190

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
From Reddit:

Turns out, this is a known issue. We do keep around multiple versions of the installer in order to do differential updates (downloading only new parts of the app instead of the entire thing, in order to keep download sizes lower). Mac doesn't know how to handle this properly, so it does show as both versions available. Looks like this happens with Firefox as well.

Apologies for any confusion or frustration this may have caused! As mentioned, I do plan on looking into the Notifications settings, to see if it's the same root cause! :)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I only have one Edge version in the default browser or right-click open with menus.
I use Microsoft Edge for business https://www.microsoft.com/edge/business/download
and I have deleted everything in the folder ~/Library/Microsoft/EdgeUpdater and locked it. That is to prevent the new, unnecessary for me, updater that Microsoft is testing.
I update Edge with the Microsoft AutoUpdate app (/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft\ AutoUpdate.app)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.