Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
I use an Elgato CamLink 4k to connect my camera to my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" running the latest Big Sur.

Whenever I do so, my CPU is high and the fans go crazy. I have never run a task that stresses the laptop as much - and I regularly run data science code over data sets running for hours.

I am surprised by this as:
  1. there is no driver issue as there is no driver, the CamLink presents as a USB webcam to the OS
  2. the conversion from HDMI to a webcam feed is done by the CamLink dongle
  3. from the OS' perspective there should be no difference between a webcam video feed from the laptop's own camera and the connected camera - I think?
  4. the problem persists when the camera is set to 720 and 1080p resolution, the same as the internal cam - I don't use 4K as it is wasted computation
  5. the problem persists in clamshell mode with an external display (which used to cause overheating on other tasks such as a Wacom tablet) as well as normal open laptop mode

Because I get similar overheating and crazy fans when I use a Wacom tablet over USB, is it the case that the MacBook Pro has problems with USB devices that aren't merely storage or USB-microphone? The problem happens with all the USB ports on the laptop so it isn't due to one faulty port.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Depends! If run oil or and have carpets over Winter you collect static cling on you Mac’s ports! Plus if you Mac was made on 2015 you should open it, clean it out and replace the processor paste with more modern modem processor paste!

Plus on Intel Mac try the Reset NVRAM or PRAM in your Mac letting ‘bong’ twice and will reset the USB ports on your Mac to get rid of the static cling!

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Depends! If run oil or and have carpets over Winter you collect static cling on you Mac’s ports! Plus if you Mac was made on 2015 you should open it, clean it out and replace the processor paste with more modern modem processor paste!

Plus on Intel Mac try the Reset NVRAM or PRAM in your Mac letting ‘bong’ twice and will reset the USB ports on your Mac to get rid of the static cling!
hi @satcomer thanks for the suggestion

1. what will modern processor paste do?

2. how will resetting NVRAM or PRAM help?

I will clean the mac's insides, I did it once and removed lots of dust from the internal fans.

Thanks for helping.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The NVRAM reset (with two bongs) will rest the chips in your Intel Mac! This will reset the USB ports back to with no static cling!

With such and older Mac that’s fives years or older old processors paste seems to dry out in about five years! So if you know how replacing the paste will help keep the old Mac running cooler!

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
I tried the NVRAM and SMC resets and this did not help.

I also had the MacBook Pro in for a service by Apple (who also replaced the batter) where they cleaned out any dust from the fans.

I have asked Elgato to investigate but no luck yet.

I'd appreciate additional comments to help fix this issue.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Latest from Elgato Support is that their product needs a discrete GPU. They even said that they don't guarantee it works on the new M1 MacBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.