Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
A great deal of the photos that I try to upload off my D300 haven't been made it to my iPhoto because of stuff like this (it has happened twice):

2326264706_c84e786bcc_b.jpg

Advice?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Your Signature says you have both a D80 and a D300.

The D300 is creating the .NEF for RAW images.

Does the D80 also do RAW format ( apologize for not knowing - but I am a lifetime Canon person ).

If the D80 does RAW have you put them into iTunes.

In other words if it works for D80 RAW images and not for hte D300, Nikon changed something! :eek:

I know this may sound stupid, but I once owned a Canon 10D, shot RAW with it from day one and all my programs liked it. I since acquire a 30D and somewhere along the line Canon change its RAW processing.

Canon 10D produced *.CRW files.
Canon 30D produced *.CR2 files.

At least they changed the extension, which clued me in to my problem.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Get all your apple updates, iPhoto works off of file formats from Apple. New cameras need new decoders, if you haven't downloaded it in an iPhoto update you can't read the file.

You may have to upgrade to the new iPhoto 7 (I think iPhoto 7.1.2 works) or Aperture 2 (http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html). But best check Apples supported camera list if doing an update doesn't fix the problem.

Best of Luck,

uMac

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The D300 NEF format was not handled until recently. Do you have the latest version of Leopard? It always seem to take Apple 6 months after a new camera comes out to be able to process that camera's raw format. The raw conversion is a feature of the OS not iPhoto. Support for new cameras always comes with they release an update to the OS.

What's odd is that you say that sometimes it word and sometimes not.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In other words if it works for D80 RAW images and not for hte D300, Nikon changed something! :eek:

Of course Nikon changed something. That is the whole point of releasing a new camera. With both Nikon and Canon, every model of camera has a raw file format that is specific to just that model. Any software that reads RAW files needs to be updated constantly because of all the new camera models.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The D300 NEF format was not handled until recently. Do you have the latest version of Leopard? It always seem to take Apple 6 months after a new camera comes out to be able to process that camera's raw format. The raw conversion is a feature of the OS not iPhoto. Support for new cameras always comes with they release an update to the OS.

What's odd is that you say that sometimes it word and sometimes not.

Right - when I said sometimes, I meant some of the photos would upload, some would not, even though they were all the same format (RAW/FINE).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.