Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant33t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Awful sounding Trackpad sounds like I'm typing on a keyboard....

So much flex when you push in the middle of the keyboard too... what's going on... is this normal?

Thanks!

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That's weird, mine doesn't at all. I wonder if the model of the 15" you picked has different experiences in regards to spacing in the chassis (dumb I know, but anything is possible).

ant33t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
It's really bad... it's so loud, I'm going to go the apple store tomorrow and get a swap

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Awful sounding Trackpad sounds like I'm typing on a keyboard....

So much flex when you push in the middle of the keyboard too... what's going on... is this normal?

Thanks!

Well it is a force trackpad so that is why you get the double click sound when you press hard... It looks like you are pressing extremely hard - you don't need to... (edit: actually it doesn't look like you are pressing hard at all - nevermind)

But at the same time, the trackpad isn't supposed to move at all. That flexing you get on the top of it is crazy.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Jesus! That looks broken to me. Mine barely moves and has a very quiet noise.

ant33t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
about to put a new video up with Secondry Click on, sometimes it won't even let me click what a mess!

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm sure you know this, but that's a glass trackpad. The amount of flex it was showing at the beginning, toward the top center, was freaking me out. Glass can only bend so far before the inevitable happens.

Reactions: uecker87

ant33t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018

Sometimes when I click it doesn't even register I've actually clicked, and the flex is awful.

ant33t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
the whole reason I spent £2400 quid was to avoid messing about with faulty rubbish :mad:

ant33t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Anyway cheers guy I will see what Apple say tomorrow, but the new keyboard is actually really nice to type on.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
That trackpad flex is normal considering the huge size and that is a thin piece of glass.
Tried it myself on 15" 2017 and 2018 MBP and it's exactly the same, so that's the way it should react to hard press in centre of it.
If i click it normally or even hard click it for the second click, still doesn't flex, so it requires some extra force to flex like that.

About the sound yours makes, that's not right at all.

Edit:
Found a better explanation for the trackpad flex:

"The new force touch trackpad is suspended on four springs on the corners, rather than being hinged at the top like the older design. Strain gauges determine the forcefulness of your click by measuring the deformation of the trackpad.

So YES, it does flex down. It is NOT the same as an iPhone's force touch (which does not flex).

No, that is not a defect -- it is essential for measuring the amount of force applied and allowing the click-anywhere feature."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.