Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitochondrion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
2018 MacBook Pro have it, even the Touch Bar have it. The 2018 MacBook Air have the T2 Chip and Touch ID. I see no reasons why Apple omitted this feature.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
As a way to upsell people that really want it to the more expensive MacBook pro's. Even if they don't need all that power, if they just want True Tone and a brighter screen with p3, they'll spend hundreds more. Makes total sense

Reactions: lambertjohn

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
As a way to upsell people that really want it to the more expensive MacBook pro's. Even if they don't need all that power, if they just want True Tone and a brighter screen with p3, they'll spend hundreds more. Makes total sense
This is exactly right. Upselling! You want more features in your computer, pay us more money and buy the upgraded model. Marketing 101. How do you think Apple got to be a billion dollar company? By selling the exact same computer to everyone? Not a chance. Kinda baffles me that some folks don't get this.

Reactions: Ghost31

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The Air isn’t a Pro device, it’s more for the general consumer and those of us who don’t need a lot of power. The Air can edit photos and some light video editing in iMovie.

True Tone is not something that the general consumer is gong to care about, just like P3 display and so on. Also adding those things would of made the price higher.

Reactions: chabig

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's kind of amazing Apple even included it on the Mac. It's really not a great feature on a machine which needs to be color accurate for many of its applications.

Reactions: Ghost31

yash.sharma

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
The MacBook Air was always intended to be a lightweight notebook for the general consumer so I don't think why Apple would bother putting the TrueTone display there.

Makes more sense putting it in the higher end device - the MacBook Pro, which targets the power user.

Reactions: Dave245

KingEugo

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
As someone new to Mac, I have no problem with the screen. I think, it's a lot better than the laptops my friends have. I always adore the quality.

Reactions: sharkync

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The Air isn’t a Pro device, it’s more for the general consumer and those of us who don’t need a lot of power. The Air can edit photos and some light video editing in iMovie.

True Tone is not something that the general consumer is gong to care about, just like P3 display and so on. Also adding those things would of made the price higher.
True Tone is a high-end but consumer-focused feature. Professional users usually prioritize color accuracy as someone else mentioned, hence DCI-P3 support and True Tone do not fall into the same category.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Mitochondrion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
I disagree, True Tone is not a high-end feature. It is on iPhone XR and that is considered to be a "cheap" iPhone, ignoring the iPhone SE. It is also on the iPad Air and iPad mini. iPad Air has it. Why not the MacBook Air? iPad Air and iPad mini are considered "cheap" iPad. You do not need to buy a Pro device to have the True Tone feature. The MacBook Air is the exception. I expect the regular iMac to have this feature eventually and I also expect the same for Apple upcoming external monitor.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I disagree, True Tone is not a high-end feature. It is on iPhone XR and that is considered to be a "cheap" iPhone, ignoring the iPhone SE. It is also on the iPad Air and iPad mini. iPad Air has it. Why not the MacBook Air? iPad Air and iPad mini are considered "cheap" iPad. You do not need to buy a Pro device to have the True Tone feature. The MacBook Air is the exception. I expect the regular iMac to have this feature eventually and I also expect the same for Apple upcoming external monitor.
The current MacBook Air is overpriced by about $200, and the SSD is half as big as it should be. Or at the very least give it a $999 starting price with 128 GB SSD, and discontinue that 2017 model with the 9-year-old design and screen.

You make a good point, Apple doesn't seem too concerned with offering good value for money on Mac laptops anymore. Make sure it's thin and sleek, and that it runs MacOS, and people will buy it regardless.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The current MacBook Air is overpriced by about $200, and the SSD is half as big as it should be. Or at the very least give it a $999 starting price with 128 GB SSD, and discontinue that 2017 model with the 9-year-old design and screen.

You make a good point, Apple doesn't seem too concerned with offering good value for money on Mac laptops anymore. Make sure it's thin and sleek, and that it runs MacOS, and people will buy it regardless.
Honestly, there have been enough deals on the 2018 MBA to the point where it's basically a $999 device most of the time. You don't even have to buy it from Apple but you can still get AppleCare.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I have an MBP with True Tone and an MBA 2018. I truly don't miss it on the MBA. It'd be nice to have; but for most it's not essential. If True Tone is a deal-breaker for you, then you're probably in the MBP market anyhow (for now, at least).

And yup, I agree that the base model should be 999. I paid a little over that, way back; I wouldn't have paid 1200 for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.