Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWizard4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Seriously why?

98% of the time, I am using Whatsapp rather than Messages. Unfortunately, you are only able to respond if Whatsapp messages received and if you want to create a new message, you are out of luck!

So anybody knows why still there is no native Whatsapp app yet? Are developers working on it?

Cheers!

riverer

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2012
I got an apple watch last week and I cant believe theres not a whatapp app for it. Its more annoying since replying works perfectly, how hard can it be to add the ability to start a message!

TheWizard4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
For those who are interested, I got a reply from WhatsApp. However, there is not much new information, they just avoid answering the actual question..

##- WhatsApp Support -##
Hi,
Thanks for your message.
WhatsApp provides limited support for the Apple Watch. However, you should be able to receive WhatsApp notifications and reply to messages. Any issues you have are likely on account of either your watch or your phone. Please keep in mind that we have no way to diagnose issues with the Apple Watch from our end as there is no way to log this information.
To use WhatsApp on your Apple Watch, you need to meet all of the following requirements:
  • WhatsApp version 2.12.9 or later
  • iOS 9.1 or later
  • WatchOS 2 or later
For more information how to use your Apple Watch, please visit Apple’s Support page: http://www.apple.com/watch/
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!
--
WhatsApp Support Team

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Seriously why?

98% of the time, I am using Whatsapp rather than Messages. Unfortunately, you are only able to respond if Whatsapp messages received and if you want to create a new message, you are out of luck!

So anybody knows why still there is no native Whatsapp app yet? Are developers working on it?

Cheers!
Are you able to see the whatsapp messages? For me I get notification which I can reply to but I can't actually see the message itself. Do you have the same?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Are you able to see the whatsapp messages? For me I get notification which I can reply to but I can't actually see the message itself. Do you have the same?
I see the message fine. Which os are you using?

andreyirra

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Mexico
They stupidly decided that you can preview the message, like in imessage only if you receive one message.

Nowadays people send bits of text so when they reply they usually send 2 or 3 in a row. That results in whatsapp telling you that you have new messages. Yeah, i know that.

So when you raise your hand instead of watching the preview you just see a whatsapp message telling you about 2 or 3 notifications which in turns make you press ok and then, finally, slide down and wath the preview. I mean, the text is there in the slide down menu. They just decided to show an extra layer that require interaction.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I've found out why it didn't work for me. I had preview off so people wouldn't read my messages when the phone is on the table. I wish I could have preview off on the phone but would still be able to read it on my AW

burb15

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
I found this one on Facebook:
But there is no download link, I don't know if it's real

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
My experience with WhatsApp is poor. As a stand-alone app on the phone, it’s just fine. But trying to use it from the iPad has been a disaster. I can imagine a watch app would have the same sucky result.

burb15

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
My experience with WhatsApp is poor. As a stand-alone app on the phone, it’s just fine. But trying to use it from the iPad has been a disaster. I can imagine a watch app would have the same sucky result.
Please keep in mind that Facebook hasn't officially done this, it's always third parties. There is a ~5 second delay in the video but for me this might be enough to sometimes leave my phone at home when I get my Series 3 LTE.

andyecht

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
I found this one on Facebook:
But there is no download link, I don't know if it's real

Hi, this this Video is real, but Apple throw the App out of the store. I use this first version, it’s really running fine. You can check it here:

https://appadvice.com/app/watchchat-for-whatsapp/1299535391

Otherwise you find more information here:

https://watchchat.info/appinfo.php

The developer (Alex) don’t know really, why the last Update wasn’t ok for apple, so he stopped now and wait for an answer.

Hopefully Apple will take the App back in the store, it’s really the App, everyone is waiting for.

Regards,

Andy

Reactions: axy60

TheWizard4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I purchased his app and it never worked for me. A few days after that, the app disappeared.

It is unacceptable that still we do not have native Whatsapp app for AW. I hate when Apple forces people to use iMessages.

Hi, this this Video is real, but Apple throw the App out of the store. I use this first version, it’s really running fine. You can check it here:

https://appadvice.com/app/watchchat-for-whatsapp/1299535391

Otherwise you find more information here:

https://watchchat.info/appinfo.php

The developer (Alex) don’t know really, why the last Update wasn’t ok for apple, so he stopped now and wait for an answer.

Hopefully Apple will take the App back in the store, it’s really the App, everyone is waiting for.

Regards,

Andy

Reactions: axy60

andyecht

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
I purchased his app and it never worked for me. A few days after that, the app disappeared.

It is unacceptable that still we do not have native Whatsapp app for AW. I hate when Apple forces people to use iMessages.

Hi, did you get in contact with the developer? I did, and he supported me very good, also bugs I reported have been fixed with next update.

Maybe you should get in contact by Facebook,Twitter or just WhatsApp.

Andy

TheWizard4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hi, did you get in contact with the developer? I did, and he supported me very good, also bugs I reported have been fixed with next update.

Maybe you should get in contact by Facebook,Twitter or just WhatsApp.

Andy

No, I did not get in contact with the author. Since the app does not working, I requested full refund.

I also asked WhatsApp about their plans on developing native app for AW, however, they did not seem to care much about it.

andyecht

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
Hi, I use the app called WatchChat for WhatsApp

WatchChat for WhatsApp von Alexander Nowak
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/watchchat-for-whatsapp/id1299535391?mt=8

With this App you can see your Chats, See unread messages and can also send and receive voice messages and can check received pics in highRes incl. option to zoom in.
The voice message will be played on your watch.

I tried out a lot of different apps, but this is (my opinion) the best App, you can get.

The update service is very fast and the developer Alexander Nowak is still working an new features.

Regards,

Andy

jay22098

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
For those who are interested, I got a reply from WhatsApp. However, there is not much new information, they just avoid answering the actual question..

##- WhatsApp Support -##
Hi,
Thanks for your message.
WhatsApp provides limited support for the Apple Watch. However, you should be able to receive WhatsApp notifications and reply to messages. Any issues you have are likely on account of either your watch or your phone. Please keep in mind that we have no way to diagnose issues with the Apple Watch from our end as there is no way to log this information.
To use WhatsApp on your Apple Watch, you need to meet all of the following requirements:
  • WhatsApp version 2.12.9 or later
  • iOS 9.1 or later
  • WatchOS 2 or later
For more information how to use your Apple Watch, please visit Apple’s Support page: http://www.apple.com/watch/
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!
--
WhatsApp Support Team

If other messaging apps like wechat can implement a native watchos app then surely whatsapp can too, they just don’t care and at this point i don’t think they will do anything about it. shame

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
If other messaging apps like wechat can implement a native watchos app then surely whatsapp can too, they just don’t care and at this point i don’t think they will do anything about it. shame
whatsapp does not offer a decent desktop solution either
into line nowadays

carladelossantos

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
theres actually a way of connecting your WhatsApp to your apple watch.
1. go to your apple watch app
2. go to app store and download chatiffy
3. go to chatiffy app, a code will appear on ur watch, scan the code
4. and voula!!! your connected!!!

;););)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.