Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pixels7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Hi,

Yesterday I was updating my iPhone 11 from 14.4 to 14.4.1 via iTunes (windows). It took forever to download the update and the update was 5.35GB (or 5.34 I don’t remember the exact size).

Is it normal the file was so big while I already was on iOS 14.4?

Now I’m on 14.4.1 I also experience battery drain. I don’t think my phone has a lot of indexing to do. I don’t use iCloud back up for photos and my photo library is only 47 photos big. My iPhone 11 is only 3 weeks old and I started fresh, so not with an older back up from my previous iPhone.
I was so happy with battery life up until I’ve updated to 14.4.1 yesterday. It’s not draining while idle, but more so when I’m using my phone. Every few minutes I’m losing 2% while browsing the internet with safari. Before yesterday it took forever to loose 1%

But I’m mostly confused about why the update was over 5GB. Or is it normal when you’re updating via ITunes?

I’ve also updated my iPad 6th gen from 13.3 (I know..) to 14.4.1 and on my iPad I’m not experiencing problems + the update was finished within 20 minutes. Where my iPhone 11 took over an hour to update from 14.4 to 14.4.1.

Do you think I need to do something with the iPhone 11 or should I just wait for 14.5 and hope the battery will be great again with 14.5?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
But I’m mostly confused about why the update was over 5GB. Or is it normal when you’re updating via ITunes?
Yes. When updating an iDevice via computer, it’s always the full/complete OS file downloaded compared to OTA, which is simply an update file.

I prefer to do major updates via computer as I believe they’re more reliable because it uses the full OS file ro perform the upgrade.

Pixels7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Yes. When updating an iDevice via computer, it’s always the full/complete OS file downloaded compared to OTA, which is simply an update file.

I prefer to do major updates via computer as I believe they’re more reliable because it uses the full OS file ro perform the upgrade.
Okay, thanks! So OTA is incremental and via iTunes is just a full ‘replacement’? I didn’t know this, even after 4 years of iPhones. Feeling slightly dumb now!

I did the little iPhone update from 14.4 to 14.4.1 on my computer because I was updating my iPad from 13 to 14 yesterday and that was going super fast. But maybe I’m just doing the ‘little’ updates ota the next time. It took forever to update my iPhone yesterday. I thought I’ll do it before I’m going to sleep as it’s a tiny update and then it took over an hour :/

So then it’s probably normal that I’m experiencing a little more better drain now. Thanks!

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.