Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimtrang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
I just don't get it. Unless you walk into a store or Authorised repairer, Apple insists you contact them by telephone. No email. No Facetime.

Why?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have the option to chat with a support representative on their website.

I guess it all boils down in how the triage, and log tickets, calling allows them to control how its handled. Tbh, i'd rather call, because I've sent far too many emails to a support email box for a given product, service and never heard back - its just a black hole. With a phone call, I'm talking with an actual human being

kimtrang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
You have the option to chat with a support representative on their website.

I just tried that after looking on US support.

Apple Support said:
You’re all set.
Your chat session will begin shortly.

We’ll be with you in about 2 minutes.

We have also sent you an email with a link to this case. You can review your case information by following that link to return to this page.

That was about 30 minutes ago. No email either. Tried again with the paid option. Just a picture and a blank box. Might be a restricted to the US IP address thing.

apple_genius_folks.png

I had previously rang Apple on my 15 year old Nokia. I spoke to a person in Ireland and explained my problem- I had a fake battery installed by a Apple Authorised service centre in Vietnam. She went away for a few minutes and asked me to confirm the name of the store. She went away again, but after about ten minutes of holding the phone and the muzak to my ear, I hung up.

I thought they'd might email me, but they didn't. I did get a missed call from a Singapore number. I assume it was Apple because of the muzak. No answer before i tired of waiting.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not U.S thing.

I'm in Australia, and still get support via live chat. Chat URL from Apple.com/support connects to U.S. Its only the webpage it comes from could be different

...Due to the way Apple serial numbers are valid cross country, i get free support always.. even though my limited warranty expired few years ago.

If i enter my serial at Apple support site for chat i always get through, even though i'm not supposed to, same thing with phone..

I inquired about getting Apple to fix this, they only temporarily did, then it broke again.. so i gave up trying... It's Apple problem,, so they deal with it. Personally, i hope they don't fix it.

Wait time on the phone is often longer anyway....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.