Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I was trying to find out if FLAC was supported on any Apple devices and I came across this article: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-support-flac-audio-files-itunes-still-doesnt that stated:

Apple's HomePod, Files in iOS, and QuickTime Player in macOS all support FLAC playback, but Apple's media management tool iTunes still does not making it more difficult for Apple users to use the high-quality file format than it could be.

The support for FLAC files in the HomePod was tucked away in the tail-end of the supported audio formats technical data. It is unclear why the format is supported by Apple, as it has continued to not support the format in iTunes since the format gained wide acceptance after the 1.3 version of the format in 2013.

What exactly is the reason for this? Why support it on Mac but not iOS / iTunes / Apple Music?

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
The truth is there is no logical reason or valid excuse for this. Just anti-consumer behavior from Apple. This is something they could easily and quickly fix if they wanted to, and I have asked them to many times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.