Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Bought a new 50” Smart TV. I stream my tv. Used to watch w a 32” non smart TV. Have noticed that the TV programs I used to enjoy are alot darker. The 50” is set at Brightest setting. Is this something all larger TVs have from the larger screen? Just curious. Or do I have to spend 1k plus to get a brighter screen at 50+ inches.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
What TV? Not that I could say what is what with it but might help with replies.
Out the box, my TV was awful (colours wrong, post processing options on etc.), I had to go through a lot of settings to get rid of the junk settings and in there were black level settings etc.

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
check the power settings. some tv's have a "power efficiency/ savings" mode that will cut your max brightness down.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
What TV? Not that I could say what is what with it but might help with replies.
Out the box, my TV was awful (colours wrong, post processing options on etc.), I had to go through a lot of settings to get rid of the junk settings and in there were black level settings etc.
This smart tv uses a Roku remote I think. Maybe I am wrong, but I didn’t get a brand remote. The remote seems to have 5 brightness levels. Maybe I haven’t found where the deeper settings are yet.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
There are a few settings to check on most TVs :

1) Brightness
2) Backlight
3) "Eco Mode"
4) Room-sensing auto-brightness

You'll probably find that some setting is causing your backlight to turn very low.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
This smart tv uses a Roku remote I think. Maybe I am wrong, but I didn’t get a brand remote. The remote seems to have 5 brightness levels. Maybe I haven’t found where the deeper settings are yet.
Some places will have a settings page. rtings is one, though you will have to hope that they have tested your model, though a similar in th line could have much the same.
Search rtings make and model of the TV and settings. Might give you a head start.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
The "Brightness" setting that most people refer to is actually the "contrast" setting. You will note that at stores (with bight lighting) they have the contrast set to 100%. I keep mine at home (in a dark room) around 50%, but use calibration settings I google from those who pay for calibrations.

As also mentioned, if you have an auto adjusting setting, it may be messing with your settings as well.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Called Hisense Support. They educated me as to how to acquire the advanced color setting by using the asterisk on the remote. So much better after adjusting all the advanced settings. I don't need to spend several K to get quality color like others think. The picture is gorgeous now.

Reactions: JT2002TJ
Oct 17, 2021
Called Hisense Support. They educated me as to how to acquire the advanced color setting by using the asterisk on the remote. So much better after adjusting all the advanced settings. I don't need to spend several K to get quality color like others think. The picture is gorgeous now.

So which setting did you use, cinema?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Generally i use one setting ‘normal”. However sometimes a movie will require a change. But i made my living as a designer, so i am trained/addicted to adjust for the best for the movie. my issue now is sound. recent movies all muddy the sound, and speak low mumbbling. So i switch to “speech” if needed. Hopllywood used to care whether we can hear the actors cleanly, not anymore. Christopher Nolan is the worst.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Generally i use one setting ‘normal”. However sometimes a movie will require a change. But i made my living as a designer, so i am trained/addicted to adjust for the best for the movie. my issue now is sound. recent movies all muddy the sound, and speak low mumbbling. So i switch to “speech” if needed. Hopllywood used to care whether we can hear the actors cleanly, not anymore. Christopher Nolan is the worst.

Movies now-a-days are meant to be played on 5.1 or greater sound. You need a center channel. You can get away with a sound bar using Optical/Digital out from your TV.

Voices mainly come out of a center channel, without one, you will struggle with quiet voices and loud surrounding sounds.

TV's these days, even $$$ once have crappy sound. They simply have reduced the size of these tv's so much that there isn't enough space for the acoustics. I actually haven't heard the sound out of the last 3 tv's I bought. I simply replace the TV and plug in the fiberoptic cable (tv out to receiver in).

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Movies now-a-days are meant to be played on 5.1 or greater sound. You need a center channel. You can get away with a sound bar using Optical/Digital out from your TV.

Voices mainly come out of a center channel, without one, you will struggle with quiet voices and loud surrounding sounds.

TV's these days, even $$$ once have crappy sound. They simply have reduced the size of these tv's so much that there isn't enough space for the acoustics. I actually haven't heard the sound out of the last 3 tv's I bought. I simply replace the TV and plug in the fiberoptic cable (tv out to receiver in).
Yes, I too use the fiberoptic out to my external powered computer speakers, but it's an additional external remote to keep up with. So switching to the LazyBoy means forgetting the speaker remote usually.LOL. But not being a sound expert, do external powered speakers provide this center channel? I thought that was a stereo set-up. How do I achieve a center channel for the TV?

Do sound bars have center channels?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Yes, I too use the fiberoptic out to my external powered computer speakers, but it's an additional external remote to keep up with. So switching to the LazyBoy means forgetting the speaker remote usually.LOL. But not being a sound expert, do external powered speakers provide this center channel? I thought that was a stereo set-up. How do I achieve a center channel for the TV?

Do sound bars have center channels?

Any sound bar that can take digital output (in this case fiber) has the ability to use all 5.1 channels. Now, if they use them or not, that depends on how high end you go.

If you already have computer speakers, and you like the sound from them, you might be better off getting a high end universal remote (like a Logitech) so that you don't have to worry about remotes. I have the Ultimate, which includes Bluetooth, RF and IR, so it works with all my devices.

You can even use your phone, and even echo to control the remote.

I do lose out on Fios' voice activated remotes, but using my harmony, I still have access to commands that they removed from their newer cable remotes (DVR button is a HUGE example).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.