Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2012
I just installed a Crucial M4 256gb SSD into my cMBP, everything looks fine but the startup is 40-45 seconds. I think it might be SLOWER than before when I had my HDD. I enabled Trim and apps start up quickly (one bounce), but its just the startup time is bad. Do I need to reset the PRAM? Any other things I need to do? I'd like to fix this

EDIT- what is also weird is that all my files (about 25 gb, i don't have much) is under other, even though it includes music, movies, photos, etc. i cloned with superduper, does that usually happen?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just installed a Crucial M4 256gb SSD into my cMBP, everything looks fine but the startup is 40-45 seconds. I think it might be SLOWER than before when I had my HDD. I enabled Trim and apps start up quickly (one bounce), but its just the startup time is bad
Delete any non-essential items from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)
Do I need to reset the PRAM?
It may help. It can't hurt.
EDIT- what is also weird is that all my files (about 25 gb, i don't have much) is under other, even though it includes music, movies, photos, etc. i cloned with superduper, does that usually happen?
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

inf0rmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
I just installed the same Crucial M4 SSD and was also having issues with slow booting. I reset the PRAM and right after that the boot time went to 8-9 seconds. I'm on an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13".

EDIT: Just remembered, I also cloned my HD to my SSD. I think it might have something to do with your startup disk not being properly set. Go into Startup Disk in System Preferences, choose your SSD and click Restart. It might help!

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just installed a Crucial M4 256gb SSD into my cMBP, everything looks fine but the startup is 40-45 seconds. I think it might be SLOWER than before when I had my HDD. I enabled Trim and apps start up quickly (one bounce), but its just the startup time is bad. Do I need to reset the PRAM? Any other things I need to do? I'd like to fix this

Go to System Preferences and in Startup Disk select your new disk as the boot disk then restart. That will fix you up.

By changing the boot drive and not setting the boot disk, the system is searching for a boot disk at each start and this is why you are seeing the delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.