Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penlocky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
I have downloaded Wipr content blocker from the overwhelming recommendation to use it in Macrumors. But after installing, something does not seem right about this "extension".

1. it is not displayed in the "Safari Extension" feature in the Mac App Store.
2. After installing, the actual extension is not in /library/safari/extensions but they are spread in library/containers, library/application scripts and library/group containers.

I am now afraid and have disabled the extension to ask especially who knows a lot about software development etc. Is it possibly malicious or something? Has anyone verify this?

Thank you!

Egnaroegnaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
I have downloaded Wipr content blocker from the overwhelming recommendation to use it in Macrumors. But after installing, something does not seem right about this "extension".

2. After installing, the actual extension is not in /library/safari/extensions but they are spread in library/containers, library/application scripts and library/group containers.

I am now afraid and have disabled the extension to ask especially who knows a lot about software development etc. Is it possibly malicious or something? Has anyone verify this?

Thank you!
[doublepost=1545947362][/doublepost]

Thank you!

I am replying for the first time so I hope this appears correctly.
I recently had serious problems with AdBloc messing up my wifi on iPhone. Apple store said to disable it without saying why. Since discovered that Apple will not accommodate lastest AdBlock update on Safari. Downloaded AdGuard which simply does not work. Then downloaded Wipr, same thing - zilch. Finally downloaded uBlock Origin with stellar results which include VPN. This seems to be the best solution to this highly annoying problem with Apple which has caused much grief among users of ad blocking apps. It is clear that Apple wants to make money from ads, and who can blame them, but I was seriously beginning to consider going to another phone maker if I could not stop ads. Good luck!

Septercius

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
UK

Thank you!

No, Wipr is fine. I have it installed on my iMac and my Safari 'Extensions' folder is empty as well and the other folders you list have a bunch of "Wipr" items in them too. Apple is moving away from the old-style Safari extensions that could read an entire web page's contents and towards a different way of doing things, which is how Wipr and the other extensions now work - they're more like a conventional application now, instead of a load of Javascript and HTML. You will see a proper "Wipr" application in /Applications as well.

See more here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/macos-mojave-will-break-a-bunch-of-safari-extensions/

Egnaroegnaro: the OP's question was about a Mac application, not iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.