Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bronnko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Since I received my iPhone 14 PM I immediately noticed there was an issue with the touch input of the device. In games, you’ll notice a stutter whenever tapping the display, and if your fingers are held down on the screen (using a virtual joystick for example), you get framedrops and stuttering. When using a controller none of these stutters or framedrops happen. That means it’s bug with the touch input/display.

I’ve reported this 2 months ago on the feedback assistant. Got in touch with several game developers who I’ve worked with in the past, they are constantly receiving support requests from players about this and have contacted Apple for help. Apple only tells them they are looking into it.

This seems like an easy fix if it was software related, no? Could it be that all iPhone 14 pro model displays are designed in way that’s incompatible with gaming? Even in iOS 16.2 Beta 3, it hasnt been fixed. What could it be?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I don’t think it’s every device… mine has no issues, and I’m sure there would be endless threads on this forum if it were every new iPhone.

Bronnko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
I don’t think it’s every device… mine has no issues, and I’m sure there would be endless threads on this forum if it were every new iPhone.
Maybe but every iPhone 14 pro and pro max I tried in the Apple Store was like this.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
I do no gaming on my 14 PM so I guess that is why I have never noticed any problems. My phone has operated without flaw.

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
Yep happens to me in genshin impact on an iPhone 14 pm. Several people are having this issue and apple isn’t doing **** about it.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
Yep happens to me in genshin impact on an iPhone 14 pm. Several people are having this issue and apple isn’t doing **** about it.
It's absolutely an issue, yeah - widespread and affecting every game played on new iPhones and iPads, from the amount of threads and comments both here and on Reddit. Someone over on Reddit said even Riot commented on it being a total cluster*.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Well, daddy Apple looking out for us: first it was PWM headaches to encourage us to look at the phone screen less; and now it’s poor video game experience!

Wake up sheeple! Get off your phones and go outside! LOLZZZZZ!!!

*healthy dose of ridiculousness in there ;)

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
There are processes in SW development. So this affects only gamers and in specific games as I understood. So perhaps other topics and bugs get higher prio. If you change the SW it also must be tested and documented. This all takes time.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

There are some threads about this issues, it would be nice if it could be consolidated into 1 mega thread.

So far these are some of the more important comments, summarised.

1. 1 User experience greater fluidity after setting up his iPhone as new.
2. 1 User experience greater fluidity after latest update.
3. 1 User reports that his iPhone 14 Pro Max is able to play games(those that were tested) fluidly.
4. 1 User reports that dynamic island blocks key area of game, such as the board that display the objective of the game, but at least fluidity has been improved recently.
5. 1 User reported that in his conversation with Apple, they are aware of this issue.
6. Multiple post of people seeing the same issues on different iPhones both 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max in their immediate or accessible environment.
7. Multiple post commenting how this affects the 14 Pro series but not the 13 Pro series.
8. Most are still waiting for a fix.

Again, a mega thread would be nice.

Reactions: turbochgd

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Not just a 14 Pro issue, I have the same problems on my 13 Mini. Jetpack Joyride and Crossy Road are the worst offenders. It seems like it has something to do with the bar on the bottom appearing

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
There are some threads about this issues, it would be nice if it could be consolidated into 1 mega thread.

So far these are some of the more important comments, summarised.

1. 1 User experience greater fluidity after setting up his iPhone as new.
2. 1 User experience greater fluidity after latest update.
3. 1 User reports that his iPhone 14 Pro Max is able to play games(those that were tested) fluidly.
4. 1 User reports that dynamic island blocks key area of game, such as the board that display the objective of the game, but at least fluidity has been improved recently.
5. 1 User reported that in his conversation with Apple, they are aware of this issue.
6. Multiple post of people seeing the same issues on different iPhones both 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max in their immediate or accessible environment.
7. Multiple post commenting how this affects the 14 Pro series but not the 13 Pro series.
8. Most are still waiting for a fix.

Again, a mega thread would be nice.

Thank you for the summation. There’s so much written from users on this ongoing situation your taking the time to spotlight the important points is very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.