Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatsandDogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Hi, im running iPadOS 13.2 on a brand new Ipad Pro. About 2 weeks old.
I attached 2 pictures Showing the memory usageOne with no applications running. And the 2nd photo is with Safari with one tab open typing this out. The app name is System Status.
Both pictures show low memory or ram.

The free memory in the pictures is very small. Is there anyway to fix that? I have 4gb of ram and most of it is being used up by processes I don’t know how to shut them off. Anyone else experiencing this too?

thanks so much for your guys help

Attachments

• B92C355C-864B-44ED-A223-AD03141E09CD.png
    B92C355C-864B-44ED-A223-AD03141E09CD.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 554
  • 89C17947-F9FA-47B1-A6AA-ACA2085F86F0.png
    89C17947-F9FA-47B1-A6AA-ACA2085F86F0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 336
  • AC109F6E-A7FD-4E51-A43E-608F4F378299.png
    AC109F6E-A7FD-4E51-A43E-608F4F378299.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 334

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
You don't want "free memory" - that's just a wasted resource. Both iOS and macOS tend to fill all available RAM, and don't release it unless and until it is required by another app/process.

The basic philosophy is this - the OS generally can't predict when or whether a particular bit of data or code will be called back to the CPU. Sometimes it may be needed again soon, sometimes not. Since it's faster to call that data/code back from RAM than it is to call it back from main storage, it's better to leave stuff in RAM whenever possible, on the chance that it will be needed again. The OS keeps track of when that data/code was last used, and the stuff that has gone unused the longest time will be flushed out when the space is needed by something new. If nothing needs the space there is no reason to spend CPU effort "cleaning house."

This question is much more common in Mac forums, as Mac comes with a built-in system report app. What it comes down to for me is that some people feel more comfortable with having a constantly "clean slate."

It reminds me of my school days. Certain teachers liked to erase the entire chalkboard after every discussion topic/demonstration. Almost inevitably, someone in class would ask the teacher to put something back on the board, as they hadn't finished taking notes. Other instructors didn't erase until the chalkboard was filled and they needed space for something new. It could be messy to look at, but there were fewer requests to post something a second time.

Last edited:

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
You don't want "free memory" - that's just a wasted resource. Both iOS and macOS tend to fill all available RAM, and don't release it unless and until it is required by another app/process.

The basic philosophy is this - the OS generally can't predict when or whether a particular bit of data or code will be called back to the CPU. Sometimes it may be needed again soon, sometimes not. Since it's faster to call that data/code back from RAM than it is to call it back from main storage, it's better to leave stuff in RAM whenever possible, on the chance that it will be needed again. The OS keeps track of when that data/code was last used, and the stuff that has gone unused the longest time will be flushed out when the space is needed by something new. If nothing needs the space there is no reason to spend CPU effort "cleaning house."

This question is much more common in Mac forums, as Mac comes with a built-in system report app. What it comes down to for me is that some people feel more comfortable with having a constantly "clean slate."

It reminds me of my school days. Certain teachers liked to erase the entire chalkboard after every discussion topic/demonstration. Almost inevitably, someone in class would ask the teacher to put something back on the board, as they hadn't finished taking notes. Other instructors didn't erase until the chalkboard was filled and they needed space for something new. It could be messy to look at, but there were fewer requests to post something a second time.
That is interesting. I have wondered the same as often see near full memory on my 1TB iPad Pro with 6Gb of memory. It only worries me if something freezes as it did initially on iPadOS 13.1 when iOS seemed to have a memory management problem - but with the latest 13.2.3 that seems cured.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

That's very interesting thanks for the explanation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.