Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Black
Jet Black

These were the most requested colors for iPhones and the fact that both hide antenna lines is also a selling point. After focusing on white models with gold and rose gold, they had to introduce these colors to increase appeal after they removed the headphone jack. Jet Black will be the most popular.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
That's an interesting argument that I can get behind. Honestly the lack of a headphone jack is not a huge deal to me, but a second speaker in the phone seems way more useless.

Hope the Airpods sound better than they look, because they look like garbage. I know a lot of earbud companies struggled with maintaining connectivity with individual bluetooth earbuds. I'll be interested to see a comparison of these to the Earins, Bragas, Kanoas, and other similar style bluetooth ear buds.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I can't plug my headphones into black or jet black anymore than I can a lighting port. Not sure how color mitigates losts sales b/c of loss of headphone jack.

Personally I'm on a non-S upgrade cycle but thinking about skipping. Maybe if there was an awesome camera like the 7s, but no. My iPhone 6 is paid in full and I hate dongles. Hate them. I love taking pictures so that could have evened the field. Also not too thrilled about having the first iPhone with a touch-only home button given Apple's s/w quality control of late.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Black
Jet Black

These were the most requested colors for iPhones and the fact that both hide antenna lines is also a selling point. After focusing on white models with gold and rose gold, they had to introduce these colors to increase appeal after they removed the headphone jack. Jet Black will be the most popular.
I agree that these were the most requested, but I see Apple as having a different reason for offering them (goosing sales).

The headphone jack is the next floppy drive. People will be pissed off at Apple for a while and then when other manufactuerers start killing the headphone jack too we can all move forward.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That's an interesting argument that I can get behind. Honestly the lack of a headphone jack is not a huge deal to me, but a second speaker in the phone seems way more useless.

Hope the Airpods sound better than they look, because they look like garbage. I know a lot of earbud companies struggled with maintaining connectivity with individual bluetooth earbuds. I'll be interested to see a comparison of these to the Earins, Bragas, Kanoas, and other similar style bluetooth ear buds.

The space freed wasn't even for the second speaker, which is on the other end of the phone. It was probably used to make space for the Taptic engine...and reviewers are already complaining about the feel of the new home button.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
To be honest, while I use wired headphones all the time, my mother has never used them in her 2 years of iPhone usage.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I will say Phil didn't come across supremely confident when he tried to justify removing the port.

Ultimately I think they've made the right decision, but I would have liked them to have had the COURAGE to not put the 3.5mm adapter in the box.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, I was seriously considering getting one because of the camera. What killed it for me was the condescending reasons Phil Schiller gave for axing it. "It's old" is not a good enough reason for me to give up high end headphones that I've spent years collecting. I think I'd rather take a chance with the exploding Galaxy Note.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I can't plug my headphones into black or jet black anymore than I can a lighting port. Not sure how color mitigates losts sales b/c of loss of headphone jack.

Personally I'm on a non-S upgrade cycle but thinking about skipping. Maybe if there was an awesome camera like the 7s, but no. My iPhone 6 is paid in full and I hate dongles. Hate them. I love taking pictures so that could have evened the field. Also not too thrilled about having the first iPhone with a touch-only home button given Apple's s/w quality control of late.

I'm in the same spot as you. I was initially considering buying the newest iPhone and giving my dad my current iPhone. Now I'm not sure I want to do that, which sucks for my dad more than for me. :*(

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I agree that these were the most requested, but I see Apple as having a different reason for offering them (goosing sales).

The headphone jack is the next floppy drive. People will be pissed off at Apple for a while and then when other manufactuerers start killing the headphone jack too we can all move forward.
Yes that was what I was saying :)
[doublepost=1473368447][/doublepost]

There is a loss of sales due to no headphone jack.
There is a gain in sales due to the jet black color.
I'm not saying that people who hate the move will suddenly pre-order it because it comes in jet black :D

It's not really a touch only home button, more of a force touch home button. If they wanted touch only, they could do it with a software update even on the 5S. But I understand what you mean, there may be no physical faliure but it's response is not solely determines by software :(.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Well, I applaud those not buying because of the Apple dropping the audio jack.

I doubt though that Apple will do a 180° and bring it back in 2017. Backlash would need to be really strong before Apple would reconsider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.