Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
I don't understand why Apple did not call the upgraded MacBook Pros for just MacBook and the MacBook Pro with Retina Display for MacBook Pro. The name would help distinct between the models, because they are all different. The Retina Display definitly is a lot more Professionel than the other Pro models.

I guess it is to put focus on the display and really create hype around "Retina Display", but isn't that what the prefix Pro is for? Enlighten me about your thoughts.

Last edited:

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I don't understand why Apple did not call the upgraded MacBook Pros for just MacBook and the MacBook Pro with Retina Display for MacBook Pro. The name would help distinct between the models, because they are all different. The Retina Display definitly is a lot more Professionel than the other Pro models.

I guess it is to put focus on the display and really create hype around "Retina Display", but isn't that what the prefix Pro is for? Enlighten me about your thoughts.

Most likely by next year the current MBP lineup will be phased out, and retina will be standard. No reason to make another name for it.

Havok83

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
They said this is the next gen Macbook Pro, which to me at least seems to imply that this will eventually replace the current set. I dont expect to see the current MBP part of Apple's lineup next year but they still want to keep the Pro name

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
^ that seems like the most reasonable response. As they start order more retina screens, the price might come down to around the price of the current gen pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.