Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I shot 100 pictures on my iPhone 9.3.1. at a party.
I went through and favorited 20 of the 100.
I want to delete the non-favorited photos from the party.

Any way to do that without re-going over the 100 photos, looking for the non favorited ones, and manually deleting?

HELP!

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
The more I'm researching this, the more frustrated I get.

Alternatively, I just downloaded FLIC (one of those apps that lets you swipe left to delete and swipe right to keep. One nice thing about this app is that is shows the heart status so if it's previously been favorited , I know not to delete it. After you cycle through a batch of photos, it's in a pre-delete state. You get to do a final "yes, delete all the swiped left photos, and then they are gone). I did upgrade to premium for $2.99 to avoid adds and get the ability to tag a photo as favorite right from within the app.

Reactions: Planepics

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005

Any way to do that without re-going over the 100 photos, looking for the non favorited ones, and manually deleting?

HELP!

Mike

Have you tried moving to Google Photos? It's excellent.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

HELP!

Mike

Because it's the "way it is" - why is that? Well lots of reasons but Apple being Apple, its a combination of hubris, doing things "apple way", dumbing down everything for the customers without any choice for nerds, and lastly - forcing you to use the apple ecosystem. Essentially they don't want people to use 3rd party services much (like dropbox, onedrive auto-upload). They just see everything their way - you must use iphoto/photos on your mac (so pay for that as well) and sync, and then do stuff on the desktop, sync back etc etc.

There's no option to make edits to photos "final" - all edits can be reverted? why? can't there be an option for us to choose?

It's the same with many other things on the "Iphone" which forces us to have a desktop and sometimes, only a Mac. eg: ringtones are such a headache. You can create a ringtone all you want on the phone using 3rd party apps. But to actually set it as a ringtone, there are only 2 ways - either use apple's garageband app or download the tune onto the desktop and sync with itunes.

Again, it's just Apple being Apple.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

HELP!

Mike

It won't help you this time, but there is something you can do the next time without downloading extra apps. When you're going through the photos on your iPhone, just delete the ones you don't like and favorite the ones you do like. The photos you delete will get moved to the Recently Deleted folder, and you have 30 days to recover them before they are gone forever.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This is what using Smart Albums in Photos on the Mac is good for. I wish they had that in iOS.

There are probably people who have 30 GB of photos on their device (especially now that we have 128 GB options), and they're not just a series of shots they took in one go, it's all narrowed down to the ones that matter. But in that batch of party/vacation photos, there's going to be the two that really matter compare to the rest - And those are the ones you use the favorite feature for.

And not narrowing stuff you want to delete.

I wouldn't use it at all in the first place to sort through photos in your scenario. Just delete stuff you don't like and leave it at that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.