Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will USB_C replace Lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
When Apple introduced Lightning, they said it "is a modern connector for the next decade", openly admitting that the naming was inspired by the 'Thunderbolt' port, when Schiller said "Now we have thunderbolt, and lightning, in our connector strategy".

At first that didn't make a lot of sense since they were different ports with different purposes.
Today, Apple are moving towards USB C for the MacBook charging connector. Specifically, Thunderbolt 3.

Thunderbolt for Mac notebooks, Lightning for iOS devices.
Both for charging, and both very adaptive.

Other reasons:

• Lightning is already established
  • Lightning is just 4 years old
  • USB-C is 1mm thicker which is significant, given Apples thickness obsession.

The reason the new MacBook doesn't have a Thunderbolt connector is because of the lack of space on the logic board for a TB 3 controller - The same reason it doesn't have USB 3.1 speeds. I believe this is resolved with Kaby Lake processors which have native support for both USB 3.1 and TB 3.

I am not saying I am against the 'possibility', I would love for it to happen. Maybe when USB-C gets smaller....

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I think they'll wait to just eliminate all ports before they go type-c. Release wireless charging next year and then in 2018, get rid of the port altogether.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I think they'll wait to just eliminate all ports before they go type-c. Release wireless charging next year and then in 2018, get rid of the port altogether.
I think that is the road map for them as well. but the fact that the apple tv 4 has usb type c and the new mac book does gives me a hunch that at some point we will have a usb type c port on the bottom of the iPhone

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
How could they get rid of ports altogether? Wouldn't Apple need some kind of service port at least? I guess the smart connector could fill that role.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why would they do that?
That would make zero financial sense to Apple.
They create their own proprietary plug and can charge you $20 for a wire.
And if someone tries to copy their wire with the next iOS software update they make those fake wires useless and charge a royalty fee to those companies that want to sell legit lightning USB wires that will function with no problems on all Apple devices.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
they will never get rid of a port. i say keep lightening but come out with wireless charging and the lighting port can be used if wireless isn't avaiable.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Why would they do that?
That would make zero financial sense to Apple.
They create their own proprietary plug and can charge you $20 for a wire.
And if someone tries to copy their wire with the next iOS software update they make those fake wires useless and charge a royalty fee to those companies that want to sell legit lightning USB wires that will function with no problems on all Apple devices.

It fits into the "it just works" theory also it would make the eco system that much tighter. The same charger that I use to charge my macbook i could use to charge my iPhone or iPad or power a iMac.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It fits into the "it just works" theory also it would make the eco system that much tighter. The same charger that I use to charge my macbook i could use to charge my iPhone or iPad or power a iMac.

Yes but It doesn't fit in the "make billions" Apple theory :D
Lightning connectors are Apples own hardware and software. They can charge as much as they please and control it fully.
USB C is not theirs.
I agree it would make things easier, simpler and cheaper but with Apple it's all about control and money.
Companies do things for profit not to make it easier or cheaper for us unfortunately :)

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Once Apple adopts wireless charging, it could open up a lot of possibilities for the iPhone. It could become waterproof for example, using the same tech in Apple Watch Series 2. I'm not saying it will happen for sure but with them taking away the headphone jack, it doesn't seem that unlikely.
[doublepost=1473645353][/doublepost]Even if they don't do wireless charging, that smart connector makes more sense on an iPhone now.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Yes but It doesn't fit in the "make billions" Apple theory :D
Lightning connectors are Apples own hardware and software. They can charge as much as they please and control it fully.
USB C is not theirs.
I agree it would make things easier, simpler and cheaper but with Apple it's all about control and money.
Companies do things for profit not to make it easier or cheaper for us unfortunately :)
VERY true but if it comes to a point where having a proprietary connector hurts there business then they will move forward.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
they will never get rid of a port. i say keep lightening but come out with wireless charging and the lighting port can be used if wireless isn't avaiable.
I think they would go to using the smart connector as a backup to wireless charging.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
VERY true but if it comes to a point where having a proprietary connector hurts there business then they will move forward.

Hope you're right but it's Apple were talking about.
People will continue to pay for their expensive $20 USB wires.
Wish we could buy our connectors for $1 like all the micro USB devices out there.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Just wondering why apple didn't choose to go with a USBc connector instead of the old one. Didn't the last MacBook update only come with a USB c port? Figured they might do that with the 7.

(And I don't mean for the connection to the phone, just the other end for connection to computer/power)

Reactions: determined09

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Plus the drop of the headphone jack and lighting port with millions of people finally switching all their cables from 30 pin?
Yea that wouldn't bring a **** storm or anything.
Also size. Lighting is smaller than usb-c. not by much but if they ever do plan or going thinner they can still.
[doublepost=1473730789][/doublepost]
USB-C-8-768x460.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I think because most computers still have USB, plus vehicles with USB ports, and there's a ton of those little power boxes out there. They would have had to include a second adapter lol

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Plus the drop of the headphone jack and lighting port with millions of people finally switching all their cables from 30 pin?
Also size. Lighting is smaller than usb-c. not by much but if they ever do plan or going thinner they can still.
USB-C-8-768x460.jpg
I just meant for the side you plug in for power not the one on the phone
[doublepost=1473731326][/doublepost]
I think because most computers still have USB, plus vehicles with USB ports, and there's a ton of those little power boxes out there. They would have had to include a second adapter lol
True but someone has to be the first to do switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
USB-C-8-768x460.jpg
FYI, this is a meaningless photo. The part that matters is the port that has to be built into the device, not the plug that goes in.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Just wondering why apple didn't choose to go with a USBc connector instead of the old one. Didn't the last MacBook update only come with a USB c port? Figured they might do that with the 7.

(And I don't mean for the connection to the phone, just the other end for connection to computer/power)

Do we know for sure they haven't?

If not, I would agree mainly because most of Apple's computers still have USB-A connectors, as well as most of the devices their customers would plug them into.

Maybe next year after USB-C even starts to become a thing.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
FYI, this is a meaningless photo. The part that matters is the port that has to be built into the device, not the plug that goes in.
size differences of the plug don't matter? The overall footprint of the usb is larger

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
So for the iphone, use an older lightning that can't compete with usb c over the long haul and lose the headphone jack. the iphone 7 as we all know is a bridge device before the radical iphone 8 comes out next year. So for a bridge device they look towards the future more than for the macbook.
For the macbook, the self-stated future of computing, use a usb c but keep the headphone jack?

There's not a lot of internal consistency that goes on, and I only nitpick because Ive is the one who likes to wax poetic about all the thought that goes into each decision.

These port choices hugely violate Apple's keep it simple paradigm. They should phase these things out with each new model. If you're going to force the transition, do it quickly. Say, 2016 is the year. Then no headphone jack on anything made in 2016. It's cleaner for Apple, for the customer, and there's no confusion.

Frankly, they should have just gone usb c for everything, but they probably would lose billions on lightning equipment/accessories.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The EU is still planning to enforce a single charger compatible with every phone by 2017.. i think.
But they have been rather quiet about it lately. i wonder if apple will still be allowed to use an adapter.
And it probably got more complicated because of the introduction of USB-C, while many Android devices still use micro USB.

While i would prefer USB-C, there is one thing i prefer about lightning:
It feels more premium to plug-in. USB-C feels cheap in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.