Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
I am looking for a long iPhone charging cable about 4m(13ft) or 5m(16ft), but I cannot find a good brand one. The maximum I find is Anker 3m (10ft), and this is no longer on their new line up and Belkin 3m (10ft), this one in apple store is expensive too.

Is there any reason for not having a longer cable in the market? Any tech/electric limitations? I am thinking that the demand for this is very less as everyone has wall socket where they wanted and safety related concern?

Additional Power bar (extender) is not a solution I am looking for.

Thanks

CR45H 0V3RR1D3

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2021
Pinellas Park, Florida
Voltage drop from crappy cords, giving other cords a bad name and leading to less people purchasing them, is why I assume they no longer make them. Since iPhones charge comparatively slower than other devices to begin with, add voltage drop and it could take considerably longer to charge.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Voltage drop means larger wires would be required which would be expensive and bulky.
Also there’s almost zero market for such a long cord.

Its hard to visualize a scenario where a regular AC extension cord plugged into a wall wouldn’t be a better if not satisfactory alternative.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
if this only about charging the iPhone there are probably quite a lot cables with 3m length available on Amazon. Data transfer is a different beast.
If you need a longer cable to charge your iDevice consider an AC powerline extension cord to bring voltage where you connect your charger (and it is a lot cheaper too ?).

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
your best bet would be to get a 2m lightning cable and then a standard USB extnesion cable, this is USB A I am talking about here. Then use something like an older iPad chager for faster speeds.

Reactions: dwig

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Starting from scratch I would usbc/usbc everywhere, then add these as needed

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
your best bet would be to get a 2m lightning cable and then a standard USB extnesion cable, this is USB A I am talking about here. Then use something like an older iPad chager for faster speeds.
That doesn’t work. The voltage drop is too much. Bigger chargers don’t put out higher voltage, just more current

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The longer cable goes, the weaker signal will become, so does voltage drop as other people mention. You might also realise high speed data transfer device don’t have very long cable, cause long cable is not good for high speed data transfer without high quality cable. Use AC extension cord and a 1M or 2M cable should be enough for your need.

Reactions: RobertM.Easley

RobertM.Easley

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
I tried to use all size cables available in the market. I personally tested the charging speed with all of the. I would recommend do not use long cables. It decreases the charging speed. Do no go above 3 meters.

The longer cable goes, the weaker signal will become, so does voltage drop as other people mention. You might also realise high speed data transfer device don’t have very long cable, cause long cable is not good for high speed data transfer without high quality cable. Use AC extension cord and a 1M or 2M cable should be enough for your need.
I second you point. But, I used 3m wire it also worked. I guess when we go above 3m voltage fluctuation and voltage drop will start occurring.

For 3 m cable, you can use Syncwire: syncwire.com/products/iphone-charger-lightning-cable-nylon-braided-10ft-3m-1-pack

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I tried to use all size cables available in the market. I personally tested the charging speed with all of the. I would recommend do not use long cables. It decreases the charging speed. Do no go above 3 meters.

I second you point. But, I used 3m wire it also worked. I guess when we go above 3m voltage fluctuation and voltage drop will start occurring.

For 3 m cable, you can use Syncwire: syncwire.com/products/iphone-charger-lightning-cable-nylon-braided-10ft-3m-1-pack
Yeah, if they build their cable well, a long cable could work. But that's the exception, not the norm IMO.
Either way, OP, DON'T use long cable unless you absolutely have to.

Reactions: RobertM.Easley

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
Thanks all, I have decided to get a MagSafe battery pack and a long single outlet extension (power bar) instead of long lightning cable. It will not look good but will solve my issue.

I have turned off 5G to save some battery and still not lasting a day (I never find 5G useful). So Battery pack will be good for both my indoor and outdoor uses.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Does anyone know why Apple does not sell a shorter (0.5m) version of their USB-C to Lightning cable? I have the old USB A to Lightning and absolutely love it. Perfect companion for my laptop bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.