Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I am bummed about losing magsafe. I never had any more trouble with it breaking than anything else, but I had a lot LESS trouble with the port it connected to breaking.

I have repaired power supply connectors on a couple of laptops this year. None of them had magsafe power connectors, because those don't break and don't need to be repaired.

I would be fine with having only one way to charge the device, which was magsafe, and using USB only for peripherals. I don't want to lose one of my few peripheral ports to power.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
RIP Magsafe. You'll be missed. My favorite Apple innovation of the last two decades. It's saved me thousands of dollars in laptop damage.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
do these USB C shaped Thunderbolt ports detach well? or are we gonna be flinging these across the room

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
RIP Magsafe. You'll be missed. My favorite Apple innovation of the last two decades. It's saved me thousands of dollars in laptop damage.
Lol, Apple did not innovate or create the magsafe tech. It was created by a Chinese company that made Rice makers with "magsafe" style power supply.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Lol, Apple did not innovate or create the magsafe tech. It was created by a Chinese company that made Rice makers with "magsafe" style power supply.

Then consider it my favorite thing Apple licensed and built into every notebook they shipped since 2006.

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
I honestly don't think i'll be updating my 2008 MBP on this iteration either. Nothing WOW about this new model for me, lots of removed ports I have devices for, no mag safe, and honestly at that price.. wow, and that's the base 15" model. ouch.

jerry16

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
I honestly don't think i'll be updating my 2008 MBP on this iteration either. Nothing WOW about this new model for me, lots of removed ports I have devices for, no mag safe, and honestly at that price.. wow, and that's the base 15" model. ouch.

Just checked out the store now that it's online - wow is right. I'm usually not one to scoff too hard at the "Apple Tax" but damn, these prices seem crazy.

Reactions: CripplerX

fobia79

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
The removal of the MagSafe just killed it for me (and the price). I have a 2 year old and that magnetic wonder has saved me millions of times.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I totally called it.

Other than the price and the outdated hardware. The killing of the magsafe was a deal breaker. If they want to kill of the mac by pricing its users out of the market so they focus on mobile, please just release OSX so we can install it on normal hardware without hackintoshing. That would be nice.

Last edited:

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal to people... there is already a mag-safe like equivalent for USB-C from Griffin. There are others in the works. You actually get more flexibility this way. Extra cost, true, but relatively small...

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.