Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
19,1 iMac, macOS 12.0.1: Look at a screen shot of my 27" iMac screen. Can you believe how huge my library books are displayed? I have a 27" screen. Did know one using betas ever complain about this disgusting waste of space?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 7.16.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 7.16.13 PM.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 311

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Well, you've clicked on "Books" in the sidebar, so what else would possibly be shown there except your books? I would think most people would like the nice large covers displayed so they can easily browse their books like a real-life library. If you want to find something quickly, then simply use the search function.

Reactions: Nightfury326

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Well, you've clicked on "Books" in the sidebar, so what else would possibly be shown there except your books? I would think most people would like the nice large covers displayed so they can easily browse their books like a real-life library. If you want to find something quickly, then simply use the search function.
Do you have a 27" screen?

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
I guess you and the Apple people have 13 books in your "library", like Obama's memories and such. I've got 6000.

Reactions: lasyos and Javabird

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Folk’s i see a stupidly designed grid. Again, all i see are 8 books out of my 100’s of pdfs, audiobooks, books. Grid w 4” tall book covers is a complete stupid design.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
How does that help me if I want to browse French books I want to read? How do I search for books published in 2021? Thrillers?

This has nothing to do with the OP's complaint. He wasn't complaining about the search capabilities but rather the thumbnail size of the covers. But it appears you can create your own collections and add books to them if you want.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Folk’s i see a stupidly designed grid. Again, all i see are 8 books out of my 100’s of pdfs, audiobooks, books. Grid w 4” tall book covers is a complete stupid design.

I honestly don't get the complaint. First of all, your screenshot shows 12 books, not 8, and if you scrolled down a bit further, you'd see the majority of another 6 covers. If your concern is finding a book quickly, why not just use the search function? That's what it's for.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I honestly don't get the complaint. First of all, your screenshot shows 12 books, not 8, and if you scrolled down a bit further, you'd see the majority of another 6 covers. If your concern is finding a book quickly, why not just use the search function? That's what it's for.
Apparently you don’t have a 27” screen that is wasted in grid mode

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Apparently you don’t have a 27” screen that is wasted in grid mode

Simply repeating yourself instead of interacting with what I said isn't helpful. What is it that you want the Books app to do that you can't do by either browsing your covers or using the search function? Why do you care if the covers are large or medium sized? I would think most people would WANT them to be large to get a nice clear view of them, especially if they have a larger screen. It's not like you have a 1x1 grid. You nearly have a 6x3 grid there if you scroll down just a bit.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Simply repeating yourself instead of interacting with what I said isn't helpful. What is it that you want the Books app to do that you can't do by either browsing your covers or using the search function? Why do you care if the covers are large or medium sized? I would think most people would WANT them to be large to get a nice clear view of them, especially if they have a larger screen. It's not like you have a 1x1 grid. You nearly have a 6x3 grid there if you scroll down just a bit.
Go help someone else

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Go help someone else

Oh, that's nice, but you're posting on a public forum, so I'll reply if I like, thank you very much. If you don't want people to interact with you, then don't start a thread.

Let me try again: What is it that you want the Books app to do that you can't do by either browsing your covers or using the search function?

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
But it appears you can create your own collections and add books to them if you want.
Sure. Just that you can't select books you search and then add them to collections…

Before, I used categories to keep books ordered by language and could also keep track using comments. All that is now gone.

And while you can put your books in italiano, dansk, 日本語 and 20 other language collections, it would be unfeasible to make a collection for every publishing year from Seneca to Cervantes and then modern times.

All the data is still there in the database: year, genre, language… but it is not utilized. Apple could have made Books more like Music. but they chose to make it a stupid browser.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
This reminds me of how they limited the amount of albums you could see in the grid view in the Music app, in comparison to iTunes... Very strange decisions.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Books is just a disaster. Crippled, neutered, dysfunctional, completely worthless. Yet it uses 100% CPU for five minutes if you add a book or make a change.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Sure. Just that you can't select books you search and then add them to collections…

Actually, I just updated my MBA to Monterrey, and you actually can add books from search results to a collection by clicking and dragging them to the collection in the sidebar.

theedoor

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2020
Is this where we complain about the Books app? I 100% would not have upgraded to Monterey if I knew Books would've been changed so much.

Even something as simple as highlight passage across pages doesn't work (yes I just submitted a bug report).

In addition to OP's complaint, which I also first noticed. The page turn animations are slower, no more floating chapter menu, no button to return to library from a book.

And it looks like all my books recent in terms of recency which is just annoying.

Taylor Walraven

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
19,1 iMac, macOS 12.0.1: Look at a screen shot of my 27" iMac screen. Can you believe how huge my library books are displayed? I have a 27" screen. Did know one using betas ever complain about this disgusting waste of space?
Try hooking up a 32" XDR and see if it displays more books. You need to try a 32" screen.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Actually, I just updated my MBA to Monterrey, and you actually can add books from search results to a collection by clicking and dragging them to the collection in the sidebar.
No, you can't. Clicking it opens the book. You can't select one book, and you can't select several books.

What you can do is use the contextual menu to add ONE single item to a collection. Which means I have to repeat this 1300 times to add all my Spanish language books to a Spanish collection…

Reactions: lasyos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.