Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lu31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Hello,
I plan to buy a MBP 16 soon,
I read some threads of people having some low Wi-Fi speed,
significantly worse than what they had with older laptops in the
same conditions , and connection drops solved by turning off
and on the Wi-Fi.
Is it just a few particular cases ?
Do the majority of the MBP 16 have the expected ~ 800 MBit/s speed
wihtout connection loss close to a good router ? (as measured by the notebookcheck website, which, by the way noticed some connection inconsistency)

thanks in advance

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I didn't notice any reduction in performance from earlier 15" to the 16". I am getting 800-1000Mbps 5-6 meters away from a Uniquity Dream Machine router. It was the same with my previous Synology RT2600ac

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I didn't notice any reduction in performance from earlier 15" to the 16". I am getting 800-1000Mbps 5-6 meters away from a Uniquity Dream Machine router. It was the same with my previous Synology RT2600ac

Totally off subject, but what do you of the Dream Machine and is this a Dream Machine Pro. I am eyeing one of those.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Totally off subject, but what do you of the Dream Machine and is this a Dream Machine Pro. I am eyeing one of those.

I have the non-pro version. I bought it since I was having some random issues with the Synology rt2600 (it’s a damn fast router though) and I have heard that ubiquity was prioritizing stability and security. I initially wanted a wired router, but the Dream Machine was the only ubiquity product within my price range that could handle gigabit internet.

I’m very impressed by the configurability of the system and the reporting functions are also neat. You can see that it’s very prosumer-oriented. Performance is decent, but not better than Synology. It’s definitely more stable though. I do think the Dream Machine is a bit too expensive for what it offers.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have the non-pro version. I bought it since I was having some random issues with the Synology rt2600 (it’s a damn fast router though) and I have heard that ubiquity was prioritizing stability and security. I initially wanted a wired router, but the Dream Machine was the only ubiquity product within my price range that could handle gigabit internet.

I’m very impressed by the configurability of the system and the reporting functions are also neat. You can see that it’s very prosumer-oriented. Performance is decent, but not better than Synology. It’s definitely more stable though. I do think the Dream Machine is a bit too expensive for what it offers.

So no issues with getting the full gigabit speed? We have Xfinity 1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So no issues with getting the full gigabit speed? We have Xfinity 1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up

Speed test shows around 900Mbps up/down, and that with all the fancy anti-hacking features enabled. I don’t think it can get any faster with my provider.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.