Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
So recently I purchased a Canon 1000D (Rebel Xs) with the 18-55mm lens kit

And now its time for a new lens and I want to get a wide angle/fisheye for action sports shots (bmx and skating) and I was wondering if anyone here had some good suggestions on mm size or just what lens to go with

My budget is up to $150 maybe $200...low, I know...damn economy. :(

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Wide-angle for sports shots? To each their own, I guess...

Realistically I'm not sure you're going to be able to top your existing kit lens on that budget. 18mm is almost "real" wide angle.

Haha you forget that the Canon Rebel XS is a crop frame camera, so that 18mm is irrelevant. It's more like 29mm. :p

But anyway, the only way you can get fisheye for your camera, is to either look to 3rd party (Sigma, etc), or grab a fisheye adapter. Canon doesn't make a fisheye for their EF-S based cameras, unfortunately. If you grab an EF based fisheye, and use it on your EF-S camera, you'll only get a slightly distorted image, as the lens was made to work on a full-frame. Your best bet for almost fisheye from Canon, is the 10-22mm EF-S lens. It's fairly super-wide angle, but not fisheye...And it's like 3 times your budget.

Might wanna also check out the Sigma 8mm f/4.0 EX DG. It's a fisheye designed for crop cameras. Retails for about $500...

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
your best bet would be to sell the kit lens, then that will add to your total funds. Like others have said, 18mm isn't THAT wide on a crop. How wide do you want to get? I can tell you that the 10-22 is NOT IDEAL for sports. It is a specialty lens. It will make you yearn for more on the tele end. I think sigma makes a 15-30mm and tokina makes a nice 12-24, but both of those lenses are in the neighborhood of like $400. I think a good sports lens for the price range you specified is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6IS (i might be wrong on the aperature speed on the tele end). I am going to be buying this lens as i just sold my G9 and looking t o pick up an XSi. Check out Pbase.com and look up the results of this lens. Amazing! and for the price, i'm speechless:)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
you know that you'll have to be in the middle of the action to get good shots with an ultra-wide or fisheye, right?

there's nothing in your price range, so just keep saving. try again when you have $500 or so.

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
ok so then what lens do you guys recommend for action sports shots?
and ill be pretty close (within a few feet) not out in the stands

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
ok so then what lens do you guys recommend for action sports shots?
and ill be pretty close (within a few feet) not out in the stands

It depends on what kind of sports you'll be shooting. If you're going to be shooting BMX/Skateboarding, then the 10-22mm will be great for specialty shots, especially if you're going to be within a couple of feets of shooting.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
So recently I purchased a Canon 1000D (Rebel Xs) with the 18-55mm lens kit

And now its time for a new lens and I want to get a wide angle/fisheye for action sports shots (bmx and skating) and I was wondering if anyone here had some good suggestions on mm size or just what lens to go with

My budget is up to $150 maybe $200...low, I know...damn economy. :(

$200 doesn't buy much in the way of good lenses. Fisheye shots get really old after the first one or two, so I'd think long and hard about spending money o a lens that's so specialized.

The wider you go, the closer you have to be to get a frame-filling shot- so if you're not getting close enough to fill the frame at 18mm currently, then getting closer will not help. Frankly, for action shots you're probably better off getting a couple of cheap flashes and radio triggers and learning to set them up so they don't get in the way or in people's eyes so you can freeze the action when you need to. Go to strobist.blogspot.com and check the stuff out there if you haven't already.

You don't say or show what you're getting results-wise at the moment, so it's difficult to give advice without knowing what's not working for you with the lens you already have...

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
For your budget, i think you will happy with the EF-S 55-250mm IS lens. here is a link to a page..pretty effin sharp for a $200 lens, if you ask me. And i didn't realize they changed the optics of the kit lens. Seems to be a lot better, according to my research.

http://www.pbase.com/hansmb/antwerp2008

http://www.pbase.com/philip_purdy/efs_55250

there was a gallery somewhere when the blackhawks played at Wrigley field earlier this year, and he used the 55-250, and they were great...

found it..

http://tonyfletcher.com/images/winterclassic/

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Any wide angle lens around 10 to 12 mm on the low end will be fine. The problem is that you will have to pay around $400.00 or more for a new one. If you want a fisheye, then look into the 8mm Peleng. My favorite is a 12.24mm Tokina f/4, however.

And yes, a lot of people are using wide-angle lenses for sports photography at skateboard rinks and such. I have seen some stunning photographs of skateboarders taken with the 8mm Peleng lens. Some samples of this $300.00 lens in here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=588817

Keep in mind that the Peleng is a manual lens (I believe), while the Sigma 8mm isn't. This one has an AF/M button.

My favorite, Tokina 12-24mm:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160701

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
If you would be able to drop in little more money, I would be suggesting a soon-to-be-released Sigma EX 10-20 f/3.5 but I believe it'll cost +500 at least. Not sure if you really benefit from a wide-angle lens for sports but if that's what you want this would be the fast wide-angle tool that does the trick.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
If you would be able to drop in little more money, I would be suggesting a soon-to-be-released Sigma EX 10-20 f/3.5 but I believe it'll cost +500 at least. Not sure if you really benefit from a wide-angle lens for sports but if that's what you want this would be the fast wide-angle tool that does the trick.

Doesn't Sigma already have a 10-20mm lens out now? Or is this going to be a revised one? I dont think it is a fast lens, ie; 10-20mm f/2.8?

dmb70

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
If you're able to get that close & will be mostly shooting outdoors, them the Canon 10-22mm is a great lens. If you will be doing indoor skate parks often then the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 might be a better choice.
They are both in the $700.00 range so you will need to save up a bit. I'd try renting one or both to see which fits your needs better.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Haha you forget that the Canon Rebel XS is a crop frame camera, so that 18mm is irrelevant. It's more like 29mm. :p
I think you forget that wide-angle is something like 24~35 mm on full frame. What the OP wants is ultra-wide angle.

Regarding lens suggestions: with that budget, you won't be able to find an ultra-wide angle lens.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Doesn't Sigma already have a 10-20mm lens out now? Or is this going to be a revised one? I dont think it is a fast lens, ie; 10-20mm f/2.8?

Sigma EX 10-20mm f/4-5.6 has been available for ages, but the new f/3.5 has not reached shelves yet, to my knowledge. I've heard superior reviews about it, but it's still only crop frame compatible so I don't know whether I will consider it for myself (lusting for full framer within next years)

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I think you forget that wide-angle is something like 24~35 mm on full frame. What the OP wants is ultra-wide angle.

Regarding lens suggestions: with that budget, you won't be able to find an ultra-wide angle lens.

Haha, if you actually read my post, I suggested a couple of ultra-wide angle for his camera. :p

Anyway, anything we suggest to you will be out of your budget! Save up money, and then you'll be able to grab a ultra-wide angle lens!

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2006
I have a 17-40 on a full frame and the 17 comes out perfectly for nice wide angle shots, again, in order to get that on a crop camera, you'd need to go to a 10mm lens. I had a sigma 18-125 which was almost wide angle, and was only $100 on ebay (this was before i had a FF)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.