Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6
Just bought it the other day... $499 off B&H.

There are some spontaneous test portraits I took using it.

Post-prod thanks to the beautiful beta of Adobe Lightroom (adios Aperture)

All shot RAW+L on Canon 350D, 10mm f/4 @ 1sec ± w/ Canon 430EX Flash

Post yours too, 18mm or wider!

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7819.jpg
    IMG_7819.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 120

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Chris, I sent you a PM and email a while ago, asking about SCAD.

Anyway, here's some shots I took with my dead Coolpix 8800 a while back.
I know it was at least 28mm, I don't know how accurate the exif is.

Make: NIKON
Model: E8800
Shutter Speed: 10/2631 second
F Number: F/6.3
Focal Length: 10 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Date Picture Taken: Nov 15, 2005, 9:15:16 AM
Achronopolis_by_seenew.jpg

Make: NIKON
Model: E8800
Shutter Speed: 10/15000 second
F Number: F/2.8
Focal Length: 9 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Date Picture Taken: Feb 8, 2006, 10:07:22 AM
Graduation_Practice_by_seenew.jpg

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Taken with a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 at 28mm on a Nikon F100 (Fuji Sensia or Provia slide film scanned on a Nikon SuperCoolscan 4000). Cropped.

Gallery within a Gallery (Louvre)
orig.jpg

Gard du Nord, Paris
orig.jpg

Arc de Triomphe
orig.jpg

Ascending Eiffel
orig.jpg

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Just a quick note: you guys should, instead of directly linking to the image, attach it.

This keeps the thread space small and allows us to click on a thumbnail instead of actually having to scroll right to see the whole image (which is redundant considering the avg 1280x768 powerbook user would still see the cropped version)

and, this is a thread for focal length 18mm or wider (17, 16, 15, and so on). This does not include consumer-grade digital cameras such as nikons or canons you can buy for under $100 whose focal lengths, due to the small physical length of the "lens," are insignificantly smaller and don't realistically capture at least 100º± of view.

Also, SCAD is a horrible art school.

Thanks.

Here is a better example of a wide angle shot taken at 10mm:

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpg
    IMG_7841.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 148

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
chrismccorkle said:
and, this is a thread for focal length 18mm or wider (17, 16, 15, and so on). ....................................

so why does the thread title say 28mm then?:confused:

Mac Forums > Special Interests > Digital Photography > Wide Angle Shots (28mm or wider)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
chrismccorkle said:
and, this is a thread for focal length 18mm or wider (17, 16, 15, and so on).
Someone has already pointed out your contradiction, but nevertheless 18mm on a DX sensor is about 27-28mm on full frame. The Nikon F100, being a film camera, is FF.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
chrismccorkle said:
Just a quick note: you guys should, instead of directly linking to the image, attach it.

This keeps the thread space small and allows us to click on a thumbnail instead of actually having to scroll right to see the whole image (which is redundant considering the avg 1280x768 powerbook user would still see the cropped version)

and, this is a thread for focal length 18mm or wider (17, 16, 15, and so on). This does not include consumer-grade digital cameras such as nikons or canons you can buy for under $100 whose focal lengths, due to the small physical length of the "lens," are insignificantly smaller and don't realistically capture at least 100º± of view.

Also, SCAD is a horrible art school.

Thanks.

Here is a better example of a wide angle shot taken at 10mm:

Your title said 28mm. And my Nikon was not anywhere near $100, it was $950.

AND: SCAD is not a horrible school, in fact you're the first person I've ever heard say that. And it wouldn't matter anyway, I've been awarded the Frances Larkin McCommons scholarship there, so I'm going since it pays more than half the cost..

But please, elaborte. Or maybe finally reply to one of my PM's or emails.. :|

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Alright, how about:

Wide angle shots.

Wide angle lens - A lens which takes in a great deal of a scene owing to its wide coverage angle.

The focal length of a wide-angle lens is always shorter than the diagonal of the film format. In the case of 35mm any lens shorter than 42mm or so is a wide angle. Wide angle lenses can be rectilinear (straight lines are preserved) or fisheye (extreme barrel distortion is evident). Most wide angle lenses used on SLR cameras are of the inverted telephoto design. (photonotes.org)

Chris New:

You will learn so much from that; take Photo 100 at Bergen and you'll have more of an idea of what I'm talking about.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
chrismccorkle said:
Alright, how about:

Wide angle shots.

Wide angle lens - A lens which takes in a great deal of a scene owing to its wide coverage angle.

The focal length of a wide-angle lens is always shorter than the diagonal of the film format. In the case of 35mm any lens shorter than 42mm or so is a wide angle. Wide angle lenses can be rectilinear (straight lines are preserved) or fisheye (extreme barrel distortion is evident). Most wide angle lenses used on SLR cameras are of the inverted telephoto design. (photonotes.org)

Chris New:

You will learn so much from that; take Photo 100 at Bergen and you'll have more of an idea of what I'm talking about.

so somebody wants to be the cool expert who doesn't need to explain himself or be polite. i'm not gonna waste more time on this thread.:rolleyes:

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
^^^ Ya'll have to explain how you do this. I've seen this done several times, but the explanations have always been cryptic.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
ksz said:
^^^ Ya'll have to explain how you do this. I've seen this done several times, but the explanations have always been cryptic.
It starts with taking multiple shots of a single jump. Then, you bring those shots into photoshop, and cut the subject out of each one, and place them all on one of the frames. Basically, if you hold the camera steady enough, you can just slide each of the subject cut-outs into place, and teh background behind them will line up (trees will overlay correctly, the dock will line up). For shots where the subject overlays on top of itself (the middle jumper's toes over the fourth jumper's thigh), you have to manually cut out the top layer.

Hmm... that still looks kind of cryptic. It's essentially cut and paste, thats all.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
chrismccorkle said:
Alright, how about:

Wide angle shots.

Chris New:

I KNOW what a wide shot is. If you look at my second shot, you can see barrel distortion where it brought elements further in from the sides. Excuse me if you labeled your thread wrong.

And you don't have to be such a prick. I mean, honestly, offering me a link to a "Basic Photography" book. *******.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
seenew said:
I KNOW what a wide shot is. If you look at my second shot, you can see barrel distortion where it brought elements further in from the sides. Excuse me if you labeled your thread wrong.

And you don't have to be such a prick. I mean, honestly, offering me a link to a "Basic Photography" book. *******.
One of our rules here is not to insult. There was a time when you could get booted for it, but not so much anymore.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
jared_kipe said:
One of our rules here is not to insult. There was a time when you could get booted for it, but not so much anymore.

Well I think my post was entirely justified, as he has insulted me first, as well as other posters in this thread.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I agree with seenew. The OP does not fit into the MacRumors culture. Not sure if he fits into any culture.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
snap58 said:
I do like Soul Coughing, in particular "True Dreams of WIchita", nice photo,

Thanks. That song is one of my favorites as well. The whole Ruby Vroom album is one of my all-time faves.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
chrismccorkle said:
Alright, how about:

Wide angle shots.

Chris New:

you are my hero. if i send you a SASE will you send me your autograph?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I think seenew might have overreacted slightly, but his feelings were justified given the tone of the OP.

For what it's worth, from what's been posted in this and other threads, seenew's pics regularly grab my eye and can I see the talent there. Pics of shoe store employees, tend not to yield the same results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.