Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Does anyone have a car with a widescreen display? I have a BMW with a widescreen but the idrive currently only shows CarPlay on a split screen with the normal ratio and other 1/3 of the screen can be customized with other things.

I’m really hoping this new version uses the full width of the screen and won’t need a software update from BMW.

Anyone able to confirm/check?

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
Does anyone have a car with a widescreen display? I have a BMW with a widescreen but the idrive currently only shows CarPlay on a split screen with the normal ratio and other 1/3 of the screen can be customized with other things.

I’m really hoping this new version uses the full width of the screen and won’t need a software update from BMW.

Anyone able to confirm/check?

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of iDrive 6 (which is what I also have). You can search for people that have posted ways to correct it, but you lose the split screen during CarPlay permanently.

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of iDrive 6 (which is what I also have). You can search for people that have posted ways to correct it, but you lose the split screen during CarPlay permanently.

All F series cars have this.

Luckily though you can modify it to be full screen :)

Go to bimmertech and check out there full screen CarPlay option.

Allows the whole screen to be used. I haven’t installed ios13 yet on mine so I can’t comment if we get the new look, but I have the full screen mod on line for ios12 and it’s tonnes better

gildorn

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2017
I have an Alfa Romeo Giulia with a widescreen display. The full width is used by CarPlay, even with iOS 12 (and I believe it did with iOS 11 too?)

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
All F series cars have this.

Luckily though you can modify it to be full screen :)

Go to bimmertech and check out there full screen CarPlay option.

Allows the whole screen to be used. I haven’t installed ios13 yet on mine so I can’t comment if we get the new look, but I have the full screen mod on line for ios12 and it’s tonnes better

Can you code the full screen mod with Bimmercode? I have a 2018 F36, no idea what the integration level is though, or how to find that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.