Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mykald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I have an airport extreme as my wifi router. I have 2 iPads (wifi only), 3 iPhones, Samsung Galaxy, 2 Apple TVs, Directv receiver, a MacBook pro, and my wife's work laptop connected to the wifi. Everything has been working fine till yesterday. Everything is connected to wifi/internet, but my MBP and wife's laptop will not connect to internet. When I do diagnostics the Wifi and wifi settings are green, Network settings is yellow, and ISP, Internet, and Server are red. It is just weird that everything connects fine but the two laptops. Any suggestions?

newlifer

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
I suspect pirate software calling home. format & reinstall osx. I use little snitch

Mykald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I suspect pirate software calling home. format & reinstall osx. I use little snitch
only way to find out if that is the issue is to use an app like Little Snitch? Is there a site I can look at on how to format and reinstall OSX?

newlifer

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
only way to find out if that is the issue is to use an app like Little Snitch? Is there a site I can look at on how to format and reinstall OSX?

the only way to find if this is the problem is to start fresh & check if you still have the issue. with little snitch you are able to block the software doing this. plenty of sites on how to reinstall, depends on your configuration

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Try a these commands from a terminal on the computers that connect fine to the internet and the ones with problems and post the output.

Code:
ping www.google.com

traceroute www.google.com

dig www.google.com

Ping will send packets to a server and tell you if it receives a response. Traceroute will try to contact a server and will show you every IP address along the way. Broadly speaking, this path will typically start with your router, then your ISP's equipment, then the server. If any part of that path is broken, traceroute will stop there. Dig will attempt a DNS request for the url you provide it. If you are unable to make DNS requests for some reason, dig will fail.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
... Is there a site I can look at on how to format and reinstall OSX?
You can do a clean install of OSX 10.11.x on a 32GB CF card or USB stick (preferably USB3). (Use Disk Utility to format it as HFS+ with a GUID partition table before you do the clean install.) You can then boot from the CF Card or USB stick by telling your MBP to restart, then hold down the option key while your MBP reboots until you see a row of bootable volumes.

—GetRealBro

Mykald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Try a these commands from a terminal on the computers that connect fine to the internet and the ones with problems and post the output.

Code:
ping www.google.com

traceroute www.google.com

dig www.google.com

Ping will send packets to a server and tell you if it receives a response. Traceroute will try to contact a server and will show you every IP address along the way. Broadly speaking, this path will typically start with your router, then your ISP's equipment, then the server. If any part of that path is broken, traceroute will stop there. Dig will attempt a DNS request for the url you provide it. If you are unable to make DNS requests for some reason, dig will fail.
[doublepost=1452138071][/doublepost]
I typed the code in terminal.
ping: cannot resolve www.google.com: Unknown host

traceroute: Unknown host www.google.com

DiG 9.8.3-P1 www.google.com
Global options:+cmd
Connection timed out; no servers could be reached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.