Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Are there are keyboards, mice and/or trackpads which will connect at Bluetooth 4 frequency, or are such input devices not made? I installed a Bluetooth 4 USB adapter on my Mini in hopes of mitigating the well known Mini usb/bt/wifi interference problem which is due, as I understand it, to frequency overlap of wifi, bt and usb noise. Taking BT off the card did seem to help, but I realize that everything is still falling back to keyboard and mouse BT, which I assume means that the BT 4 adapter is just operating at the lower frequency.

Another possible fix would be to add an 11ac wifi usb adapter and change the frequency of the wifi, which would certainly be doable.

I don't want to belabor the issue but being able to understand and reconcile conflicts in techs as ubiquitous as BT and WiFi is a good addition to anyone's practical skill set.

Rover110

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Surrey, UK
Technically Bluetooth 4 is still the same frequency as older Bluetooth.
Bluetooth 4 is a combination of "classic" Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy. And both of them operate in the same frequency band (2.4 GHz) according to Wikipedia. That's not to say whether or not Bluetooth Low Energy would suffer from/cause less interference than classic Bluetooth - that's not something I know about.

Moving your wifi router to 5 GHz (if you can) will remove it from the equation.

When I first looked into it, I was scared of USB3 but I guess most people can live with it. As I do.

I had terrible problems with Wifi when I went from Mavericks to Yosemite, but that seems to be because my old router did not support IPv6 - my "new" one is still 2.4 GHz only, but seems to work perfectly on that mac. (The rest of my Macs have wired ethernet).

Hope this helps,
Rover

Reactions: macmesser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.