Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bardefiorello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Hello,

In short, my wifi just stopped working on my macbook pro.

I was just using the internet, and then went to do something else. I wasn't using the internet while doing that, which was about 30 minutes or so. Then I went back to the internet to check my gmail account when I noticed that the wifi symbol in the menu bar was gone. Also, I no longer had a connection to the internet. I went into my system preferences to see what was going on and the wifi option is now yellow. the box that says "put wifi in menu bar" won't work. I click it and it just unclicks itself after a few seconds. I tried to turn wifi off in the system preferences, (it says it's on), but then it just stops responding all together.

So, I went into safe mode and the same thing happens. Still no internet access.

So I went into recovery mode, ( i think this is what it's called; press command and p when starting up) and the internet is working. The wifi icon is in the menu bar too, but only while I am in utilities mode. I've tried going back into safe and normal mode, still no connection.

I've tried resetting smc and pram, I've tried first aid in disc utility, I've tried creating a new user but I couldn't get internet that way either.

Also, when I turn my computer on, the wifi symbol is at the top of the screen before I log into my account profile. but then it disappears.

I am running El capitan.

So, in short, the internet only works while I am in recovery mode. It doesn't work in safe nor normal mode.

Help?

thanks in advance,

Nathan B.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.