Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Why do I need wifi turned on to find my location?

I have concluded that on my iPhone X, while located in certain states/cities, my GPS location shows far away from my actual location unless I have wifi enabled.

I have tested this in many locations around the country and find it most puzzling in rural or desolate areas.

For example: Driving down the highway on a bridge over water with no power lines or buildings for miles. (Definitely no wifi routers) With wifi turned off, the blue dot is stationary (as I'm moving) and updated very slowly and far away from me. The moment I enable wifi the blue dot correctly shows my location. I have repeatedly found this to be true in many places.

I understand apple has started using crowdsourced wifi signals to better help with one's location. That makes sense in a city with lots of buildings where a GPS can get obfuscated. But why would a wifi signal do anything in the boonies where a wifi signal can't be reached.

It's almost like the wifi antenna is not actually just for wifi but a switch, to enable full accuracy of one's GPS location.

iOS 11/iPhone X: First software/hardware I've observed this happening.

What gives?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Maybe having wi-fi enabled allows the iPhone to detect other mobile hotspots, not necessarily wi-fi routers? Try doing your test in the middle of the woods and let us know what happens.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would think it would get a GPS lock on you quicker with WiFi on so it could give a rough location for the satellites.

I have used both my cellular iPad and iPhone's GPS without WiFi and it was very accurate.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Maybe having wi-fi enabled allows the iPhone to detect other mobile hotspots, not necessarily wi-fi routers? Try doing your test in the middle of the woods and let us know what happens.
As I explained I essentially was in the middle of the woods in my one example. I have tried in many desolate locations. Same result.
[doublepost=1535385677][/doublepost]
I would think it would get a GPS lock on you quicker with WiFi on so it could give a rough location for the satellites.

I have used both my cellular iPad and iPhone's GPS without WiFi and it was very accurate.
Why would you think that?

The the whole point of GPS is to find ones location from satilites. Even or especially in the middle of no where.

What good is a wifi antenna if it has nothing to connect to?

I've never experienced this prior to my iPhone X. Do you have an iPhone X?

Last edited:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012

You're in Jacksonville? Sorry to hear about the shooting yesterday. Nowhere is safe anymore.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Why would you think that?

The the whole point of GPS is to find ones location from satilites. Even or especially in the middle of no where.

What good is a wifi antenna if it has nothing to connect to?

I've never experienced this prior to my iPhone X. Do you have an iPhone X?

Wifi is not required for the iPhone to use GPS.

A WiFi signal can tell the phone which GPS satellites to look for. Which are in view/range.

I have three larger planters lining my driveway, about 20-25 feet apart. Without WiFi my iPhone and iPad can tell me which planter I am standing in front of looking at the older satellite image of my neighborhood. I think 20 feet is pretty accurate.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Wifi is not required for the iPhone to use GPS.

A WiFi signal can tell the phone which GPS satellites to look for. Which are in view/range.

I have three larger planters lining my driveway, about 20-25 feet apart. Without WiFi my iPhone and iPad can tell me which planter I am standing in front of looking at the older satellite image of my neighborhood. I think 20 feet is pretty accurate.
Please re-read from my posts. I think it's clear that I understand the how GPS works. Which is why I'm befuddled as to why my phone can't get a GPS location with wifi off in certain locations.

WiFi does not do anything with a GPS signal. At least not traditionally and I haven't seen anything written showing any company has implemented wifi to interact with GPS.

Last edited:

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Your article states it doesn't need to be connected to a wifi signal to help, but what if there are no wifi signals to even be searched by your phone?

Again, in the middle of no where. No wifi signals to be intercepted.

Then it will take longer for your GPS to discover the available satellites to locate itself.

If you also had a WiFi signal, the phone would know instantly the general area you are in and start communicating with the proper satellites.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Then it will take longer for your GPS to discover the available satellites to locate itself.

If you also had a WiFi signal, the phone would know instantly the general area you are in and start communicating with the proper satellites.
I completely understand what you're saying and I agree. I tried to make that clear in my first post but failed.

However I'm talking about being in the middle of nowhere. No wifi signals to be found. I still exhibit the same behavior.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I completely understand what you're saying and I agree. I tried to make that clear in my first post but failed.

However I'm talking about being in the middle of nowhere. No wifi signals to be found. I still exhibit the same behavior.

Then you are in an area with poor GPS coverage or your GPS receiver may not be operating correctly.

Are you outside with a full view of the sky in all directions?

Has your GPS receiver always been hard to lock on?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Then you are in an area with poor GPS coverage or your GPS receiver may not be operating correctly.

Are you outside with a full view of the sky in all directions?

Has your GPS receiver always been hard to lock on?
Yes.

I travel all over the country. Some areas it works perfectly without wifi enabled. And some states, usually in the south, i need wifi enabled.

I've never had an issue with any previous iphone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes.

I travel all over the country. Some areas it works perfectly without wifi enabled. And some states, usually in the south, i need wifi enabled.

I've never had an issue with any previous iphone.

If you are in the lower 48 you should be able to get a location lock via GPS. I live in the South and I can get a GPS lock inside my house but it is not very accurate. Need 2-3 sats to lock, even more will be more accurate and even give an accurate elevation.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
If you are in the lower 48 you should be able to get a location lock via GPS. I live in the South and I can get a GPS lock inside my house but it is not very accurate. Need 2-3 sats to lock, even more will be more accurate and even give an accurate elevation.
Also aware of this but still doesn't explain what I've observed. But I appreciate your help!

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.