Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Is anyone aware of a drop in Wifi speeds with recent versions of IO15

I consistently achieved >500Mbps over 5Ghz from my iPhone 11 up until recently. I'm not sure wether the change happened with iOS 15 release or an update 15.x

My MBP in the same location, same speed test, same connect speed still gets >500Mbps at the same time. iPhone never seems to get above 330Mbps, which it does consistently.

I've tried disabling private Mac and doubled checked iCloud private relay is off.

Not the end of the world, but would just like to check.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I think all things are ok isp side. All my other WiFi devices achieve over 500Mbps. Just this phone seems to be capped at exactly 330 every time.

The line is 1Gbps which it achieves on every wired speed test I run.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Download the app Wifi Sweetspots. This will tell you the speed of the connection between your iPhone and your router which will isolate the issue to your iPhone and network or the network to the ISP and speedtest server.

Difference can be quite significant. Ignore those busch league upload speeds, thats Xfinity robbing me...

IMG_4993.jpg IMG_5150B0A7EFAF-1.jpeg

I'm also using an iPhone 11 (Pro Max). Its capable of being faster however the max channel bandwidth on my router is 40 MHz. When I'm on newer routers its much faster.

Power cycling the router wouldn't hurt either to make sure its on an open channel.

Using a Wifi scanner like the one in the iOS AirPort Utility app you can see the iPhones RSSI and compare it to your computer to see how the signal strength is between them.

IMG_398F813B89F1-1.jpeg

The larger the value (keeping in mind its negative so -60 is worse than -50dbm) the better the signal strength.

May want to do that stuff, then power cycle the router and redo it so you can confirm whether it improves or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.