Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rotaninart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Germany
Hi there,

I've been encountering the following problem for the last two weeks.

Every half an hour or so my Internet connection drops. I can neither access my NAS or the web at all.

However, turning Wifi off and back on usually solves the problem, temporarily at least.

I should say though, that the connection itself doesn't drop though. My MacBook always shows 5/5 bars.

Whenever the connection is dropped, my iPhone's internet is slow too. I say slow because in most cases it still works. Kind of 2G style slow.

So my question is, is this because of my MacBook Pro's WiFi or because of my router. I'd prefer the latter more though
grin.png
. Is there any way to find that out?

Thanks for any response

PS: I've tried out literally anything I could find on the internet.

My Mac:
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Mid 2015)
i7 2,5GHz
16GB RAM
512GB SSD
dGPU R9 M370X

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Hi there,

I've been encountering the following problem for the last two weeks.

Every half an hour or so my Internet connection drops. I can neither access my NAS or the web at all.

However, turning Wifi off and back on usually solves the problem, temporarily at least.

I should say though, that the connection itself doesn't drop though. My MacBook always shows 5/5 bars.

Whenever the connection is dropped, my iPhone's internet is slow too. I say slow because in most cases it still works. Kind of 2G style slow.

So my question is, is this because of my MacBook Pro's WiFi or because of my router. I'd prefer the latter more though
grin.png
. Is there any way to find that out?

Thanks for any response

PS: I've tried out literally anything I could find on the internet.

My Mac:
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Mid 2015)
i7 2,5GHz
16GB RAM
512GB SSD
dGPU R9 M370X
Omg I've had this problem since forever!! It's like still connected. But I can't ping or reach anything.. I need to manually turn off my WiFi (Mac) and re enable it again..

Marc_S

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm using Linksys like modem/router thing from my ISP..[/QUOTEbeenprettwelldocument
Hi, its been reasonably well documented that Linksys routers appear not to like Mac's with many users having exactly the same problem. There are even youtube MacOS tutorial videos where the presenters advise against Linksys routers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.