Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I have a MacPro5,1 that I've had some luck refurbishing. I've successfully flashed a PC ATI HD 7950 card, and got that working fairly well in the machine (DVI only, crud.) But I'm having ongoing issues with the wifi not reconnecting after a reboot or waking from sleep.

I believe it is the original wifi/bluetooth module that the Mac shipped with. Is this a known issue? My router is a Netgear AC1350 that I've 'upgraded' with DD-WRT firmware and now have two separate WiFi networks on 2.4GHz and 5 Ghz. Typically once I wake the Mac up, the WiFi symbol has a '!' through it and refuses to reconnect. If I switch from one frequency to the other, the Mac will *usually* reconnect, though not always. If it doesn't, then I typically have to switch WiFi off and back on a couple of times to get it to connect.

Any thoughts?

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I'm surprised this thread got no responses. At any rate, I have a very similar problem. I have a 5,1 with the stock WiFi card. I'm not sure exactly when, but it seems that on waking from sleep, I often fail to get internet access. The Wifi shows as connected, but no data traffic moves. Usually if I turn the WiFi off and back on, it works fine after that. Sometimes I have to reboot the system. Part of my problem is that it doesn't happen every time it goes to sleep - only sometimes. I'd replace the network card, but I'm not totally sure that's the problem.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Since I haven't received a response on this, I'll have to assume its either a very rare problem or no one has a fix for it. It looks like I'd have a couple of alternatives - get a range extender, which may not work if this is a software problem, or get a 'power line' adapter that would connect to the router via AC wall outlet.

Additional research indicates that this *might* be a DNS or DHCP problem, but I'm still looking into it. In the meantime I've changed my DNS servers to publicly available DNS instead of my ISP's. Only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.