Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I have an older Nikon N6006 35mm Camera.
It has a Nikkor AF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6D lens.
I'm looking at purchasing a Nikon D90 Camera.
I'm looking to save money.
Will this lens work on the D90 without purchasing the camera with a lens right now?
What are the Pros and Cons of using this existing lens?
What would be the equivalent zoom range when converted for the D90? (28-75mm or what)

Any help from people that have experience with this will be greatly appreciated.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Yes, it will definitely work.
However, it will not be very good in any respect: 35-80 mm corresponds to roughly 50-120 mm on the D90, and optically, the lens isn't very good either.

I'd rather suggest you have a look at cheaper Nikons with bundled kit lenses, they'll be a lot more useful.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I agree with Oreo. If money presents you from getting a D90+ good lens you would be better off getting a cheaper body + lens instead.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have an older Nikon N6006 35mm Camera.
It has a Nikkor AF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6D lens.
I'm looking at purchasing a Nikon D90 Camera.
I'm looking to save money.
Will this lens work on the D90 without purchasing the camera with a lens right now?
What are the Pros and Cons of using this existing lens?
What would be the equivalent zoom range when converted for the D90? (28-75mm or what)

Any help from people that have experience with this will be greatly appreciated.

The lens will work perfectly on the new body. But you will want a wider lens on the new body. The new "crop body" DSLR has the effect of multiplying the focal length of the lens by about 1.5 So your 35-80 acts as if it were 60-120. This is a good telephoto range and will complement the 18-55 lens that typically comes with the DSLR body. I have one of those 35-80 lenses that came with an old N2020 body. It is very sharp and works well for closeup, almost macro work. Kep the lens. But buy a wider one for 90% of what you will want to shoot.

If you are worried about cost buy a lowered priced body. The way to tell if you are over spending on a body is if you have to compromise on the len(es) you buy to afford the body. Sounds like you have crossed that line.

With film bodies people used to keep the body for years. That does not happen with digital. Digital SLR bodies are like computers they become "dated" and you replace them. Spend about 1/2 of your first year DSLR budget on the body. (your first year budget might include a second lens and maybe a flash)

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Wow, now I don't really need the Minolta lenses....
My wife gave me a GREAT birthday present.
Nikon D90 kit w/ AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AND AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED lens
I went and bought 2 UV, 8 Star, & Polarizer filters, a Lowe Slingshot 200 bag, 8 GB memory card, Lens Brush, Tripod, and an extra battery.

I'm pretty well set except for getting an iTTL flash.
The old SB-20 flash will work for now.

I guess I should ploace the 35mm Nikon N6006 w/ 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 D up for sale.

I could also sell my Minolta XD 11 with lens. I wonder if there is still any kind of market for 35 mm film cameras.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
For future reference, if you turn to page 228 of your manual, you'll find a nice chart that shows both compatibility and functionality (in terms of technology, not how "well" they work) of older lenses with your D90.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.